Why become a member? ×

SWR Workingmans 112 100w Bass Combo for sale

welshpete

I'm looking for about £250 ono plus delivery cost. Im based in Tunbridge Wells
Here's a review from harmony Central.
Mine was made in the 90s, before Fender bought SWR. It's a 100W combo. I think the 120W combos you see out there are from after the Fender buy-out, and are generally not as good, in my opinion.

The features:
100W amp
A single 12" Celestion, ported in the back
A Le-Son TLX-1 Piezo tweeter horn, which you can switch off
Active & Passive inputs
Effects Loop
Headphone Output
Tuner Output
XLR Direct Line Output
Peak Limiter (can be turned off)

Knobs:
Gain (with red LED to let you know when you're clipping)
Aural Enhancer
Bass
Mid
Treble
Effects Mix (Pulling this knob out turns the peak limiter off)
Master Volume (with green LED to let you know when the limiter is kicking in)

It's plenty loud enough for rehearsals and small-scale performances. I need to crank it to about 7 when playing in a band with a drummer, but it comes through like a champ when I do.

Plugging in an 8 ohm extension cab and turning the limiter off will get you a little extra headroom, but I usually find it simpler just to go through the PA when I want more power. Roadies love me, because I don't make them lug around a big 8x10 tower for my rig.

Sound Quality : 10
I've used this with both passive and active pick-up 4 and 5-string bass guitars, as well as acoustic basses, and even the occasional stratocaster, telecaster, les paul, or hollow-body electric guitars. It takes everything I give it and sounds beautiful doing so.

The precision on this thing makes it perfect for Jazz, but it's a great little rock amp, too.

Some may disagree, but I like the sound of this amp better than most 2x10 or 4x10 cabs. The 12" speaker moves plenty of air, and the horn brightens it up without ever sounding harsh.

As others have pointed out, no noise at all. Turn down your guitar knobs, and you won't even know that it's on.

If you want a little subtle distortion at high volumes, you turn the peak limiter off. Otherwise it's immaculately clean at all times.

Reliability : 10
If you had enough of them, you could build a castle out of them. Rock solid. The steel grill on the front is very comforting to have.

I can, and have, gigged without a back-up with this thing. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it, and I suspect it will still work fine long after I'm dead.

Customer Support : No Opinion
The company is gone, but who cares? All pre-Fender SWR gear is out of warranty by now anyway. Customer Support doesn't matter because you'll never need it.

Overall Rating : 10
I've been playing for about 20 years, and have never owned a better bass amp.

If it were stolen or lost, I'd try to find another just like it, but I'm not sure if I could. They are getting rare because those who own them know better than to sell them.

I've lined it up against recent combos and stacks from GK, Behringer, Ampeg, Fender, etc. They all have come up short in comparison, when you consider all the features (especially if you consider ease-of-transport to be a feature that matters!)

I used to wish it had a non-balanced D.I. output (for situations when I don't have an XLR cable handy), but then I discovered that the "tuner" output is exactly that, and have been happy ever since.

Seems like a Harmony Central review. Is your name Tara or Pete?
[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/SWR/Workingman%27s+12+112+Combo/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...+112+Combo/10/1[/url]

Edited by steve-soar

The OP does say it's a cut and paste from Harmony Central. To be honest, I don't know what the point is really, as reviews on Harmony Central fall into:

a). OMG I DROPPED IT DOWN THE STAIRZ AND NOW IT WONT WORK. POS TBH WASTE OF $$$ NOT EVEN MADE IN THE USA FOREIGN POS

or

b). IVE JUST GOT BACK FROM THE STORE WITH THIS AND HAVENT PLAYED IT YET BUT ITS THE BEST PIECE OF GEAR IVE EVER USED EVAR. USA MADE TOO SO NO FOREIGN POS TBH LOL

So, as I say, limited use (TBH LOL)

Cheers,
James

Edited by Moos3h

I agree that Harmony Central reviews should come with a downloadable pinch of salt but I owned one of these in the 90's myself and I do pretty much agree with what it says above. Whilst not being able to compare it to any of my subsequent rigs, I do recall it being a pretty great combo with a lot more booty than the size or power rating would imply. It was possible to achieve quite musical and detailed tones out of it compared to some rigs I've been through.

It [i]was[/i] pretty heavy though.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='545513' date='Jul 20 2009, 05:30 PM']Seems like a Harmony Central review. Is your name Tara or Pete?
[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/SWR/Workingman%27s+12+112+Combo/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...+112+Combo/10/1[/url][/quote]

It was quicker to cut and paste the specs (and Tara's review) than type them in.

These are great combos. Had one years ago and always regretted selling it so bought one of the last ones to appear on here (now it's on semi-permanent loan to my wee bro).