Why become a member? ×

bazz fuzz

Al Heeley

[quote name='cm261' post='615326' date='Oct 2 2009, 10:34 PM']Cheers Nick, you're a legend mate.

What on earth is a rectifyer (that's what I got when I googled that 1N4001 component)?[/quote]

No worries Craig.
1N4001 is a diode.
If you need any, PM me - got a bag full of them somewhere!

So what are you gonna build next mate?

Cheers

Well this moosapotamus looks interesting as it would open up a whole world of sinful low-end-eating guitar pedals to me, plus I now know exactly what parts I would need to buy for it, so maybe that! Ordering new stuff would also allow me to get ahold of a permanent enclosure for my mammoth as well without paying postage more times than I need to. Maybe also an A/B or an A/B/Y box as well, since it makes sense to order the parts for multiple pedals at once. I assume that an A/B box switches between 2 peadals and an A/B/Y can switch between 2 and also have both on simulataneously? On top of that I could also order the parts for the Llama while I'm at it. Basically, as long as I'm using prototyping board I'm happy :)

Edited by cm261

[quote name='cm261' post='615403' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:08 AM']Well this moosapotamus looks interesting as it would open up a whole world of sinful low-end-eating guitar pedals to me, plus I now know exactly what parts I would need to buy for it, so maybe that! Ordering new stuff would also allow me to get ahold of a permanent enclosure for my mammoth as well without paying postage more times than I need to. Maybe also an A/B or an A/B/Y box as well, since it makes sense to order the parts for multiple pedals at once. I assume that an A/B box switches between 2 peadals and an A/B/Y can switch between 2 and also have both on simulataneously? On top of that I could also order the parts for the Llama while I'm at it. Basically, as long as I'm using prototyping board I'm happy :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sounds like a good plan buying all the bits in bulk, especially with the boxes included.
A paralooper or any good blender is worth it's weight in gold IMO, especially for bass. Mine's out on indefinite loan at the moment, so I'm going to build another one.
Might be wrong here, but an A/B or A/B/Y might be only benefitial with two amps or channels when using with two pedals/separate signal chains(?) :)

Edited by nick

^ Well yeah, but that's the point isnt it? Like if I had an effect that I liked but that was particularly noisy when bypassed, I could put it aside with an A/B box. Or if I had 2 different distortions/different fuzzes/of the same pedal, that I wanted to feed into the rest of the loop or direct into the amp, so there an A/B box would let me switch between the 2. Unless I'm missing the point here entirely lol...

Edited by cm261

I posted a simple circuit on here earlier which was incredibly useful (for me) for live gigs, it was an A/B + X/Y box, basically it allows you to select between 2 different inputs and select between 2 different outputs. So when gigging I have main bass + backup bass plugged in and can switch between them with a footswitch without having to fart around unplugging cables, then for the output I have choice of sending signal to amp or signal to tuner. Sending to tuner also acts as global mute. very useful, and thats only one config I find handy, lots of others depending on your own setup. My most regularly used pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

So... finished my mammoth clone last weekend, and it sounds exactly like it should and I'm well impressed with myself for actually managing to build something that works!!! - However.....as you all know they are not that happy with active basses, in fact they sound pants, so I'm left with a pedal that sounds epic with my passive basses but rubbish with my Stingray, which unfortunately is the bass I use live most of the time :) - would adding a pot (say a 250k) to the circuit input (between the footswitch and the circuit itself solve the problem?

[quote name='lateralus462' post='627754' date='Oct 16 2009, 12:25 PM']So... finished my mammoth clone last weekend, and it sounds exactly like it should and I'm well impressed with myself for actually managing to build something that works!!! - However.....as you all know they are not that happy with active basses, in fact they sound pants, so I'm left with a pedal that sounds epic with my passive basses but rubbish with my Stingray, which unfortunately is the bass I use live most of the time :) - would adding a pot (say a 250k) to the circuit input (between the footswitch and the circuit itself solve the problem?[/quote]

Short answer - no.

Long(er) answer - you need a buffer

[quote name='steve' post='627791' date='Oct 16 2009, 12:50 PM']What transistors did you use in the circuit? IIRC I ended up using BC109's (can't remem if I changed the resistor values tho') and it seems to work fine with my TRB1006[/quote]

I just used 3904's - they're what were on the schematic Al pointed me in the direction of.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='627803' date='Oct 16 2009, 12:57 PM']I just used 3904's - they're what were on the schematic Al pointed me in the direction of.[/quote]

Yeah, I think I used the same schematic - I either
1) tried both transistors on a breadboard and preferred/got a decent result with the 109s or
2) didn't have any 3904's at the time and had some 109s lying around,

either way, they did the job for me and the pedal needs taming with a blend circuit otherwise it seems to scare guitarists :)

[quote name='steve' post='627819' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:04 PM']Yeah, I think I used the same schematic - I either
1) tried both transistors on a breadboard and preferred/got a decent result with the 109s or
2) didn't have any 3904's at the time and had some 109s lying around,

either way, they did the job for me and the pedal needs taming with a blend circuit otherwise it seems to scare guitarists :)[/quote]

And scaring guitarists is a bad thing? :rolleyes: It's one of my main aims in life!!!

I may see if I can get hold of some 109's in that case to see if they help - I suppose the other option is to give the blend circuit that Al posted up on here a go and see if that works.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='627827' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:09 PM']And scaring guitarists is a bad thing? :) It's one of my main aims in life!!![/quote]

+1, I'm just lulling them into a false sense of security

[quote name='lateralus462' post='627827' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:09 PM']I may see if I can get hold of some 109's in that case to see if they help - I suppose the other option is to give the blend circuit that Al posted up on here a go and see if that works.[/quote]

I'm not sure if the blend circuit will cure your problem tbh, if it sounds crap unblended, the sound through a blender + mammoth will be clean sound + crap mammoth, so at best you'd hear less crap mammoth.

Have a go with some 109's - if you have a breadboard you can muck around with different resistor/cap values - you may find a few mods you can add. If you want to try a couple of 109's and struggle to get some, send me a pm, I can prolly help you out there.

I would quite like to get into building my own clones.
But i have no idea where to start. Anyone know of any guides on the net for people who havent touched a circuit in the slightest for the last few years!

Also is there any decent places to get the parts/enclosures etc?

Thanks!

Just read this thread my friend, has all the information you are looking for. Go back to the first post and read the whole thread, I promise by the end you will be much more enlightened than you are now. Reading this thread will also probably cause you to build your own mammoth clone as well ^_^

[quote name='cm261' post='627963' date='Oct 16 2009, 03:13 PM']Just read this thread my friend, has all the information you are looking for. Go back to the first post and read the whole thread, I promise by the end you will be much more enlightened than you are now. Reading this thread will also probably cause you to [b]build your own mammoth clone [/b]as well ^_^[/quote]

This is what i'm planning :)