Why become a member? ×

Which Strobe Tuner?

Skactus

Hi, I'm a bass player from Portugal, and I'm looking for a reliable and accurate tuner pedal.

So... which non-Peterson strobe pedal tuner would you chose?

- Turbo Tuner ST-200

- Planet Waves Tru-Strobe Tuner (Ok, not a real pedal, but it fits my needs...)

- Other

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

By the way, sorry for my lame English...

PS: I use a 5 string bass...

[quote name='Skactus' post='540913' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:47 AM']Hi, I'm a bass player from Portugal, and I'm looking for a reliable and accurate tuner pedal.

So... which non-Peterson strobe pedal tuner would you chose?

- Turbo Tuner ST-200

- Planet Waves Tru-Strobe Tuner (Ok, not a real pedal, but it fits my needs...)

- Other

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

By the way, sorry for my lame English...

PS: I use a 5 string bass...[/quote]
Turbo Tuner - simply the best tuner in the world. Also, refer to the recent tuner thread and use the SEARCH. :)

yeah, I'd not reccommend the TU-2, though. It's simply not accurate enough. Just today I went into flat tuning using it, played along with someextreme and could immediately tell that i was out of tune. Time to buy a new tuner methinks. I reckon that a pitchblack is the way to go if you don't want to fork out on a turbo tuner

Just got a Turbo Tuner, and it's awesome. Incredibly fast tracking and really easy to use and read.

This video's been posted several times before, but it just shows you how quick, easy and small the Turbo Tuner is -- much more so than the Peterson, which costs a fair wedge extra:

Indeed, the Korg Pitchblack has a "strobe mode", but it's not a true strobe tuner so it's not anywhere near as accurate as a strobe tuner. Behold:

Korg Pitchblack accuracy: ± 1 cent
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner accuracy: ± 0.02 cents

Yes, the TT is 50 times more accurate. :)

Edited by BottomEndian

You cant beat a proper Peterson... Not the same as there own digital versions!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='542369' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:18 PM']Just got a Turbo Tuner, and it's awesome. Incredibly fast tracking and really easy to use and read.

This video's been posted several times before, but it just shows you how quick, easy and small the Turbo Tuner is -- much more so than the Peterson, which costs a fair wedge extra:

Indeed, the Korg Pitchblack has a "strobe mode", but it's not a true strobe tuner so it's not anywhere near as accurate as a strobe tuner. Behold:

Korg Pitchblack accuracy: ± 1 cent
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner accuracy: ± 0.02 cents

Yes, the TT is 50 times more accurate. :)[/quote]

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='542671' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:11 PM']I used to tech for tribute acts up and down the country. We always used a Peterson 490 for all the instruments. I now use Korg DTRs.[/quote]
That must be like going from fresh strawberries to Opal Fruits.

Mind you, I'm a bit baffled by the specification claims of these tuners. If the Turbo Tuner is ±0.02 cents, isn't that going to make the Peterson 490 (which claims 0.1 cent accuracy) redundant, along with much of the Peterson line?

Well teching means i can take my time before shows to really tune and setup. During the show while im tuning one guitar the artist is already using another one. I find that in a live situation when i need to tune my own (bass), possibly just in between songs i need to tune quickly. Hence the Korgs. To be honest, the Korg are some of the best ive found, well i always sound in-tune at least!

God knows.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='542688' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:25 PM']That must be like going from fresh strawberries to Opal Fruits.

Mind you, I'm a bit baffled by the specification claims of these tuners. If the Turbo Tuner is ±0.02 cents, isn't that going to make the Peterson 490 (which claims 0.1 cent accuracy) redundant, along with much of the Peterson line?[/quote]

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='542369' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:18 PM']Just got a Turbo Tuner, and it's awesome. Incredibly fast tracking and really easy to use and read.[/quote]

Where did you bought it?

Here in Portugal there isn't any turbo tuner dealer...

[quote name='Skactus' post='543244' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:29 PM']Where did you bought it?

Here in Portugal there isn't any turbo tuner dealer...[/quote]
Direct from [url="http://www.turbo-tuner.com/"]Sonic Research[/url] themselves. They've got a dedicated [url="https://www.turbo-tuner.com/secure/secureorderform_intl.html"]international order form page[/url]. Got it in a week, and it was about £10 cheaper (including shipping, duty and VAT) than I've seen it in the UK. :)

[quote name='iamapirate' post='543355' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:25 PM']why do i feel physically attracted to this?![/quote]
Because you know it would respond physically to every noise you make. :)

Seriously, if you hummed your way up through an octave glissando and back down again, that thing'd do some sexy dancing.

[quote name='Skactus' post='543372' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:40 PM']I forgot I have another problem... Portugal voltage is 220V, not 110V[/quote]
That's not a problem. It doesn't take AC from the mains -- it'll run off a standard 9V DC power supply like any Boss pedal (or pretty much [i]any[/i] pedal at all). And it's supplied with a battery.

Edited by BottomEndian

• 2 weeks later...