Why become a member? ×

Slap Bass

arabassist

I found learning to slap can take ages. I gave up tonnes of times & had been playing bass for a good 6 years or so before I started to get anything that resembled a 1/2 decent slap sound (a bit of higher ground).

I'm still no great slapper & only have a couple of songs that involve any, but I do enjoy it when I do.

My advice, as Lylodile say's, start with a thumb, then a finger, then get your deads, then bring in another finger & in 10 years time you might be as good as me! :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='539472' date='Jul 13 2009, 05:01 PM'][url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/Books/UltimateSlapBass/tabid/69/Default.aspx"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/Books/Ul...69/Default.aspx[/url]

12.50 - a bargain for such a great book.[/quote]

Just ordered it.

Cant have too many books on slap now can you :)

loads of different ways to do it... lots of sub routines, and depends on where you start or rather who is your 1st reference will depend how you sound and articulate..

If you start with Flea then accept that his style might dead-end you quite quickly if you want to pick up on, say Miller.
Flea plays overhand, IMV and Miller is more classic in the thumb strilke... Mark King is more like Miller from the right hand POV... but makes uses of so many more grace notes on the LH typically..
This isn't definitive but just a point to say that not all slap techniques get you to the same end-point, sound-wise

All have their fans and virtues but it might help if you find a decent teacher to set you right...
When you first start all these things are a minefield.. imv