Why become a member? ×

Which Markbass Combo Now??

spongebob

My 121P 300w combo - I totally love it, but in my current set-up, it's just not quite powerful enough.

It's as new, and only 3/4 months old.....but I think I'll have to change.

I was asking earlier in the week about adding the 121 New York Cabinet to it - but really, I'd like to stick to a combo as it's simply less to carry!

I know there's a few above mine in the range - weight is the crucial thing, as I don't really want to exceed 16-ishk. Old work injury and all that!

The Jeff Berlin looks tempting, as I nearly went for that before. 300w, but a 15" as oppose to a 12" speaker. Does anybody on the forum use one of these as their gigging amp? Would the power upgrade be significant enough to cut it with various styles in pubs and clubs?

Or is the extension cab the only way to go?

I don't need a massive power upgrade, mine is almost there, but to get a real boost I feel I have to crank up a bit too much! :)

The berlin will move more air and will sound louder but its got no tweeter if thats important. Its the same power 300W into itself and 500W with an extension but Itll sound 'bigger' than the 121P. A single 12" isnt great on its own for low end in a small cabinet.

If you add an extension for your 121P youll gte the full 500W and more air movement and itll lift your 121p so you can hear it better.

You could look at the 102P. Better low end than the 121p on its own and tilts back to hear it better but i still feel i need an extension if its used in a band or gig. Its about 20kg which isnt a lot to carry with two hands.

[quote name='spongebob' post='538289' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:13 AM']My 121P 300w combo - I totally love it, but in my current set-up, it's just not quite powerful enough.

It's as new, and only 3/4 months old.....but I think I'll have to change.

I was asking earlier in the week about adding the 121 New York Cabinet to it - but really, I'd like to stick to a combo as it's simply less to carry!

I know there's a few above mine in the range - weight is the crucial thing, as I don't really want to exceed 16-ishk. Old work injury and all that!

The Jeff Berlin looks tempting, as I nearly went for that before. 300w, but a 15" as oppose to a 12" speaker. Does anybody on the forum use one of these as their gigging amp? Would the power upgrade be significant enough to cut it with various styles in pubs and clubs?

Or is the extension cab the only way to go?

I don't need a massive power upgrade, mine is almost there, but to get a real boost I feel I have to crank up a bit too much! :)[/quote]

[quote name='spongebob' post='538289' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:13 AM']....I was asking earlier in the week about adding the 121 New York Cabinet to it - but really, I'd like to stick to a combo as it's simply less to carry!....[/quote]
The problem, if you swap combo's, is that you'll be selling your (perfectly good) amp for exactly the same one but just in a marginally different cab. The simplest option is probably to add another cab. An MB 210 would work well with the 112 and you'll be increasing your headroom without increasing your lifting weight. For the improvement in your sound you just have to make one extra trip the car.

[quote name='spongebob' post='539563' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:36 PM']Thanks all.

Looks like the extra cab really is the only way to get more power!![/quote]

I use the Jeff Berlin and love it, but for the reasons others have said, I also use a 2x10 cab for the extra power

Edited by simon1964

Hopefully this is also okay to ask here.....

but as an extension cab newbie....

What cables do I need to connect the two Markbass 121's - P and New York cab?

I've done a bit on a search, and got very confused! I don't want to damage anything, so before I take the plunge.....

What do I need, and best place to buy??

[quote name='spongebob' post='540541' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:48 PM']Hopefully this is also okay to ask here.....

but as an extension cab newbie....

What cables do I need to connect the two Markbass 121's - P and New York cab?

I've done a bit on a search, and got very confused! I don't want to damage anything, so before I take the plunge.....

What do I need, and best place to buy??[/quote]

All the markbass heads and most combos have dual speakon/jack outputs. Most of their cabs have speakon inputs. Check the specs for your combo and cab and if both have speakons then id use a speakon-to-speakon cable as they sound much better and are less fragile.

[quote name='spongebob' post='540541' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:48 PM']....What cables do I need to connect the two Markbass 121's - P and New York cab? What do I need, and best place to buy??....[/quote]
At the very least you just need an ordinary speaker cable, but make sure it's [b]not[/b] a guitar lead. If you can use Speakon plugs you might as well. OBBM makes both kinds. Drop him a line and he'll get you the right one.