Why become a member? ×

AER Amp One - Anyone got one?

guylewis

I couldn't find a previous thread so . .

I've been wondering if anyone has an [b]AER Amp One [/b]and what they think of it?

Tiny, German built amp; 10 inch speaker, 200 watts and a shade under a grand!

The ukulele player in my band has a 60 watt AER amp for acoustic instruments and it really does sound great . . . good connectivity and loud enough too.

I'm starting to feel tempted . . .

Heard, they're very serious ones..

Expensive as hell, but, compared to the quality, I think, it's worth a go..

A friend of mine has bassy AER, and he only prefers high-class stuff, but, damn, I can't ask for his thoughts about it at the moment..

Not much help there, tho,
Faith..

[quote name='guylewis' post='539978' date='Jul 14 2009, 07:03 AM']Thanks for that Faithless.

Does anybody have one of these amps?

I'd be really interested to hear people's experiences . . .[/quote]

How much have I spent on amps over the years? I dread to think. Can a 10" speaker do it all? Whatever anyone says, the answer is no as soon as a loud drummer walks into the room. If the drummer thing is not an issue then I'm sure it will be very lovely.

It seems that no-one actually has one of these amps!

Having done a little research I'm beginning to see why; I have had trouble finding a shop that has one to try out (well that's not totally true as Westside Distribution did suggest a shop 150 miles away but didn't seem [i]that[/i] interested) and I'm still waiting to hear back from AER with the Qs I emailed a week ago.

Now, tell me about MarkBass . . . . .

[quote name='owen' post='540070' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:56 AM']If the drummer thing is not an issue then I'm sure it will be very lovely.[/quote]

You're right! I've had one of these on loan from AER for a couple of months now and it's an extraordinarily flexible piece of kit - PLENTY loud enough with a quiet-ish drummer. As far as I know it's the first AER product specifically voiced for [u]electric[/u] bass (although it works wonderfully with my ABG) and has a fat, warm tone that suits my P-bass and Jazz perfectly. Everywhere I've used it, other band members have soured the stage looking for an extension cab. They cant believe that such a small box can produce such stout tone and volume. EQ is very musical with no unusable settings and the compressor is the first one I've ever wanted to use on stage. It evens out the response of my ABG really well. Build quality is exemplary (as it should be for the price!). I'm just dreading the phonecall asking for it back!

There are a few threads on Talkbass that are just as enthusiastic as I am. Check them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, AER Amp One was brought in our local shop - I gave it a quick blast with MusicMan SR5 (shop's bass..), both set flat - man, that amp has some balls!

From the looks - little, but sooo 'meaty' and punchy - lots of power. I couldn't believe that such a small box could have 200 watts.

Sounds clear, but, altogether, very deep.

I haven't tried it properly with my own bass, but, now I got some GAS, pickin' on me!.. :)

Edited by Faithless

There is one member here at least with one. I asked about a small amp for an EUB and received a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=46557&view=findpost&p=482854"]reply[/url] mentioning the AER. Turned out that the owner lives in my town! He even offered me the chance to go and try it out but due to various reasons it hasn't happened (yet).

Don't think he posts here much but it may be worth PMing him (he's also the UK distributor for Veillette guitars).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello GuyLewis

I have one and I can only strongly recommend it.

It is loud enough to play club gigs as long as it does not get to loud (nothing to do with your usual single 10" comboamp, this is AER)

I use mine playing with a drummer and two guitarists using moderate to medium settings on 36 Watt Combo amps.

Soundwise it is very flexible but not a modern sounding (think more Ampeg fliptop or something like that)

Regards

Jacques

[quote name='Jacques' post='584637' date='Aug 29 2009, 05:36 PM']Hello GuyLewis

I have one and I can only strongly recommend it.

It is loud enough to play club gigs as long as it does not get to loud (nothing to do with your usual single 10" comboamp, this is AER)

I use mine playing with a drummer and two guitarists using moderate to medium settings on 36 Watt Combo amps.

Soundwise it is very flexible but not a modern sounding (think more Ampeg fliptop or something like that)

Regards

Jacques[/quote]

Thanks Jacques . . . I tried one in a shop but its hard to know how it would perform at gig volumes . . . Now I know!