Why become a member? ×

Whoops.... I just had a GAS attack

mike257

Crikey! After spending ages contemplating going lightweight, I've just took the plunge and bought myself a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 off the dreaded 'bay!

I'm going to A/B it with my Ampeg and decide which one's the keeper, so expect to see one of them in the For Sale threads next week.

Ooops.

Edited by mike257

Right now, it's going to be a comedy double act of the tiniest head around sitting on my huge SVT610!

I'm really interested in Alex's Barefaced cabs, but I haven't got the money to go for one yet. If the Ampeg head ends up going, a Barefaced Compact or Big One might be the next thing incoming. It'll be the first time in 6 or 7 years that I've not had a massive stack behind me though, it'll take some getting used to!!

The head will definitely pack a punch. I am in the same process, ive only recently got my LM3...but Ive kept my big cabs and amps....I just think sometimes its not the same. Plus, I kind of enjoy collecting them.

Lightweight/modular cabs are a nightmare to think about. Too many options! I dont want to shell out then they disappear as a company in a few years.

[quote name='mike257' post='536504' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:02 PM']Crikey! After spending ages contemplating going lightweight, I've just took the plunge and bought myself a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 off the dreaded 'bay!

I'm going to A/B it with my Ampeg and decide which one's the keeper, so expect to see one of them in the For Sale threads next week.

Ooops.[/quote]

I'd be interested in your thoughts, once you have done your A/B.

[quote name='mike257' post='536504' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:02 PM']Crikey! After spending ages contemplating going lightweight, I've just took the plunge and bought myself a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 off the dreaded 'bay!

Ooops.[/quote]

I saw that and nearly bought it but I am buying Old Horse Murphy's instead. Buy it now for £400??? Great price for a great bit of kit.

Yeah, paid for it mid-afternoon yesterday, landed first thing this morning! No mains lead or instruction manual though, the cheeky bugger. Can't believe the size and the weight, and I love the funky little gig bag.

I've got a gig tonight with a loud-as-hell rock band I used to play for (their new bassist is in LA for a month!), so if there's time at soundcheck to give it a test run, I might throw ithe amp in at the deep end and use it there.

I'm hoping to give it a proper A/B with my Ampeg over the weekend, or early next week, so I'll let you all know what I reckon.

Oh, and Musicman20, I'm reluctant to part with my big cab too, I love it! If I can raise the funds some other way, I'm going to try and keep it AND get a lightweight cab as well :)

Well, used it for the gig last night, and what can I say, I'm really impressed.

The rest of the band were in utter disbelief that this tiny box was my new 600w monster bass amp, and couldn't stop picking it up to marvel at the weight.

I plugged it in for soundcheck, flattened the EQ, dialled in a touch of valve drive, and my Stingray jumped out of the speakers and nearly bit my head off. I didn't get time to have a proper play around, but I absolutely loved what I heard.

The sound engineer asked me afterwards what 'that little silver box on top of my amp' was for. I had to explain three times over that it wasn't a preamp, it WAS the amp.

All in all, I'm well chuffed, and looking forward to putting it through it's paces properly in the practice room next week. I'll post my thoughts on how it fares next to the SVT3 when I've had the chance to get them together!

Wow - you got a serious bargain there - congratulations!

- I'm only a bit jealous cos I just paid £549 for one - still its a great little amp.

Re the manual - its not hugely informative - You have probably seen you can get it online at Genz Benz. FYI the only thing which wasn't totally obvious (to me anyhow) was that you don't have to have a speaker load on the amp if you want to DI it.
J

[quote name='Etienne' post='537915' date='Jul 11 2009, 03:03 PM']Hey Mike, I'm glad that you're happy with your new purchase! Where were you playing last night- Zanzibar perhaps?

PS: I'm selling the 4-way footswitch from my own Shuttle if you're interested! :)[/quote]

Hey Etienne,

I was at the O2 Academy - the Buzzcocks were on upstairs, and I met a confused looking Pete Shelley afterwards and had to explain to him how to work his mobile phone! Can't see myself using the footswitch to be honest, I'm a 'set-and-forget' kind of guy.

Cheers for the info Johnny - I checked the manual out online, there's nothing too exciting in it, is there! Just with the eBay listing saying it was nearly brand new, and only used three times for home practice, I expected all the necessary bits and pieces would still be with it!

Rehearsals tonight, so hopefully I'll get a bit of time to compare with the Ampeg, and to see what it's really capable of :brow: