Why become a member? ×

Remembering to unplug

sdgrsr400

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='536263' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:43 AM']TBH, what I'd really like is a little miniature switch for ON/OFF. That way the bass can be left plugged in all the time. I mean, how hard can it be? Why don't the manufacturers do this?[/quote]
Yeah. I used to have a Fender Active Jazz Bass Special which had a active/ passive switch. Very useful and also great for instantly altering the tone to a Precision-like donk when the song needed it. Don't know why they don't put them on all actives.

[quote name='chris_b' post='536310' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:38 AM']+1. But, why would you have your bass plugged in when you're not using it?[/quote]
Maybe it's just me - but I frequently sit down intending to have e.g. a three hour practice session (I'm just a "bedroom" player). Maybe half way through I go to make a cup of tea... then maybe the phone goes... after that maybe I get distracted by something else I needed to do. Before I know it, it's been a few hours and I wander past and notice the amp etc. is still on (because it has a bloody big light indicating so), so I quickly turn it off and continue whatever it was I've ended up doing.

Next day I return and realise the cable was still in the bass.

Easily done - and frequent. I could put a sticker on the amp reminded me to unplug the bass, or the sodding bass could have a light on telling me it's draining the battery while it stands idle.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='536263' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:43 AM']TBH, what I'd really like is a little miniature switch for ON/OFF. That way the bass can be left plugged in all the time. I mean, how hard can it be? Why don't the manufacturers do this?[/quote]
My two Westone Thunder IIA's (see sig photo) both have active/passive switches.
In fact, all my basses are active aside from the Jazz.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='536825' date='Jul 9 2009, 09:05 PM']My two Westone Thunder IIA's (see sig photo) both have active/passive switches.
In fact, all my basses are active aside from the Jazz.[/quote]

I rarely use my Thunder III in active mode, since I prefer its passive tones. But the active circuitry stays on as long as there's a jack plugged into the bass - the active/passive switch is just a bypass, so I just got into the habit of unplugging. I think the active circuit has to stay on because if you switched the power on manually you'd hear a thump through your amp.

If the batteries are on the way out I find I get plenty of warning from the bass's tone and I always carry a couple of spare PP3's. I have to replace the batteries every year or so - Westone claim around 200 hours' use per set.

Fodera do I believe. But really... is it that hard to unplug it?!

[quote name='Krysbass' post='537172' date='Jul 10 2009, 01:00 PM']I rarely use my Thunder III in active mode, since I prefer its passive tones. But the active circuitry stays on as long as there's a jack plugged into the bass - the active/passive switch is just a bypass, so I just got into the habit of unplugging. I think the active circuit has to stay on because if you switched the power on manually you'd hear a thump through your amp.

If the batteries are on the way out I find I get plenty of warning from the bass's tone and I always carry a couple of spare PP3's. I have to replace the batteries every year or so - Westone claim around 200 hours' use per set.[/quote]
You may be right. Now maybe I'm being thick here (not hard for me :) ) but I am able to
use my Thunder II basses, in the passive position only, without any batteries being installed.
So is that still using the active circuitry?