Why become a member? ×

Another Markbass Question.......

spongebob

Following from my question about more power and the settings for my 121P 300w combo.....

If I want to attatch a seperate speaker, which one do I need? I've never done this before, so once again please be stupidly honest!

The Markbass site seems to be blocked for me, so any suggestions here would be great.

Does it have to be a Markbass speaker? I need something lightweight if poss.

On the other side, I've been offered a barely used Jeff Berlin Markbass combo half price on new. On paper, it looks like the same output as my current 121P. However, they do retail at quite a bit more. Is there some power difference? Would it be a better bet? Or is it just the same with a slightly different tone?

Any suggestions on this please! :)

[quote name='spongebob' post='533938' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:10 PM']Following from my question about more power and the settings for my 121P 300w combo.....

If I want to attatch a seperate speaker, which one do I need? I've never done this before, so once again please be stupidly honest!

The Markbass site seems to be blocked for me, so any suggestions here would be great.

Does it have to be a Markbass speaker? I need something lightweight if poss.

On the other side, I've been offered a barely used Jeff Berlin Markbass combo half price on new. On paper, it looks like the same output as my current 121P. However, they do retail at quite a bit more. Is there some power difference? Would it be a better bet? Or is it just the same with a slightly different tone?

Any suggestions on this please! :)[/quote]

It need no tbe Markbass it definitely MUST be 8 ohms in impedance though (less will cause the amp to let out the magic smoke).

You need a proper speaker cable - NOT an instrument cable, use of which [i]may[/i] rapidly result in the letting out of the magic smoke

Lightweight solutions to this abound, but its a tricky thing to mix and match without trying, since two differing speakers can not play nicely together at all in certain circumstances. Popular advice is to play safe and get the closest matching speaker to your combo. Only run one tweeter though, two would be mahoosive overkill (so turn down one of them as much as poss).

The JB MB box will have a different tone (IIRC doesnt have a tweeter for instance), and JB's sig somewhere I would imagine....

The Berlins got a bigger speaker and cabinet volume so will probbaly sound louder and deeper. The amp stage is exactly the same in both amps. 15"s tend to sound deeper than 12"s, 12"s tend to sound more middly and biting. Ive used your 121 in jam nights and it didnt cut it on its own. Put it on a chair to hear it better and you lose the boundry reinforcement from coupling with the floor. Ive got the 102P which is a tiltback to help with hearing it but still needs an external cab to get some proper low end and projection and gets lost with a loud drummer and 2 gits.

I always thought that the 121P 300w would do the job.

I'm only doing pubs and stuff, and anything bigger I get line'd out to the PA.

I'm changing my settings for this weekend - shutting off the filters as suggested, so we'll see how we go.