Why become a member? ×

Rig question about The band "sikth"

Xzantes

Ahhh hulloo ;o)

Kris, is there a song / album you are refering to in particular? James used various gear for recording - including his two McIntyre basses with EMG DC pickups - He has sold one already. (http://www.mcintyreguitars.com) a 5 string Sei bass that I believe had Bartolini pups in. He has used various amp rigs. Including David Eden heads and cabs, but also an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro.. may have had a 5 for a bit too?? but I understand the 4 was somewhat problematic. Live I know that James plugged in to a BDDI and also had a Carl Martin compressor pedal. He ended up with two Peavey 4x10 cabs, that, the last time I spoke to him (and this was about 2 months about SikTh split) he was really talking the cabs up.

Incidently, he originally had Bartolini 9J pups in his Chris McIntyre bass(es) - Pin tells me they sounded really good recorded, but the DC's were a lot better for live sound. - I actually agree, as I tend to pull back the EQ in certain frequencies when I record DC's to make them sound a bit sweeter.

As far as I can recall, I don't think he had a preference for strings.

Hopefully what I recall is acurate, but if there's something in particular you want to know, I can find out for you. - I'm not a James Leach idoliser by the way, Pin and I are in an awesome band together!

When I saw them live just before the last album came out I think he was using an ampeg rig and he was indeed using his utterly lush McIntyre's and his Sei. I remember his live sound being like a huge uncomprimising frieght train hitting you at 150mph. It was an astonishingly loud gig to be fair but the impressive thing was that even though James plays in some fairly severe drop tunings on the newest album you could hear all the notes crystal clear but does make a lot more sense now Dood mentioned the Carl Martin pedal and the pickups in his basses. I suppose it all comes down to you get what you pay for. You want definition you've got it but it can be really expensive!

[quote name='dood' post='533304' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:48 PM']Ahhh hulloo ;o)

Kris, is there a song / album you are refering to in particular? James used various gear for recording - including his two McIntyre basses with EMG DC pickups - He has sold one already. (http://www.mcintyreguitars.com) a 5 string Sei bass that I believe had Bartolini pups in. He has used various amp rigs. Including David Eden heads and cabs, but also an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro.. may have had a 5 for a bit too?? but I understand the 4 was somewhat problematic. Live I know that James plugged in to a BDDI and also had a Carl Martin compressor pedal. He ended up with two Peavey 4x10 cabs, that, the last time I spoke to him (and this was about 2 months about SikTh split) he was really talking the cabs up.

Incidently, he originally had Bartolini 9J pups in his Chris McIntyre bass(es) - Pin tells me they sounded really good recorded, but the DC's were a lot better for live sound. - I actually agree, as I tend to pull back the EQ in certain frequencies when I record DC's to make them sound a bit sweeter.

As far as I can recall, I don't think he had a preference for strings.

Hopefully what I recall is acurate, but if there's something in particular you want to know, I can find out for you. - I'm not a James Leach idoliser by the way, Pin and I are in an awesome band together![/quote]

Thanks for the info. I'm a big SikTH fan myself.

Also, I had no idea you were:
a. In a metal band
b. In a metal band with Pin?!

:)

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='533432' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:23 PM']When I saw them live just before the last album came out I think he was using an ampeg rig and he was indeed using his utterly lush McIntyre's and his Sei. I remember his live sound being like a huge uncomprimising frieght train hitting you at 150mph. It was an astonishingly loud gig to be fair but the impressive thing was that even though James plays in some fairly severe drop tunings on the newest album you could hear all the notes crystal clear but does make a lot more sense now Dood mentioned the Carl Martin pedal and the pickups in his basses. I suppose it all comes down to you get what you pay for. You want definition you've got it but it can be really expensive![/quote]

When it comes to live tone, Sikth had a GREAT live engineer and they worked hard on making sure the individual instrument tones worked to their best together.

• 2 weeks later...