Why become a member? ×

new amp = no effects...

Jobiebass

couldnt think what to title it.

im on my 4th amp now in 3.5 years of playing, finally figuring out what "tone" is and how to eq.

Ive had my Zoom b2.1 for a good 2 years now and I love it to pieces, used to use 1-2 settings on it (the ampeg one a0, and the flea/ampeg one c4, maybe c2 for a bit of distortion but I didnt realy like it too much) But now ive actually bought an Ampeg SVT3 pro with a 610Hlf cab to use with my flea bass, I havent needed to use my zoom at all except to tune it. had a play around with it again today to find some new tones ect, and I cant find one usuable tone I like with the pedal. im so happy plugging straight into the head and playing. hi+low boost, 3/4 gain, just under half vol and 3/4 tube gain. it just sounds perfect, my eq is flat on my head and the bass. I add a little treb every now and then if im slapping, and a bit of eq on the mids dependent on the room.

I always thought id be constantly messing about with pedals but apart from a tuner, I really dont think im going to need to use any pedals with my current set up.

Anyone else done this?

Glad the Ampeg is working out so well for you!

I had the same experience. I had a Korg AX30B that I used to run all the time in to my Peavey amp. It added the compression and 'eq' that the amp couldn't deliver and made my tone more hi-fi and deeper.
Then I sold my Peavey and bought an SVT4 and 410 HLF. Instantly the tone the Ampeg delivered made the Korg superfluous and I started using it less and less.
It ended up just being used as a tuner, and then I bought a racktuner and consigned it to under my bed, where it remains until this day.

I found the same thing happened when I bought my first decent bass. I used to hide behind a lot of fx as there was little sustain or tone. As soon as I bought my Stingray I needed to let it do its natural thing, so again reduced the fx I was using.

[quote]I always thought id be constantly messing about with pedals but apart from a tuner, I really dont think im going to need to use any pedals with my current set up.[/quote]

I've done the whole pedal thing, for years I've been through loads of boutique stomp boxes and a couple of multi fxs and in the end I've sold them all and am just plugging straight into my amp.

Don't miss them at all. Too much fiddling.

And I also think that if you have a good amp, you're doing it a big disservice by trying to get your tone by using a multi fx :) You should just be able to plug in, and only have to use the EQ to suit the room.

Good rig.
On the SVT3, you should get a better tone if you run the Master Volume as loud as you can go without it hissing and getting noisy, I run mine at 3 or 4 o'clock, and then run the Gain lower. I run the gain at about 12 o'clock and control the volume from the bass. I find I don't need to use the buttons or EQ faders. I've never owned a pedal!