Why become a member? ×

32" 5 string

Count Bassy

Originally for historic reasons I have always been a 32" 4 string player, but about a year ago bought an Ibanez GWB35 ie a 34" five string fretless.
I love the fretless bit and the 5 string bit, and get on OK with the 34" scale, but there are things I can't do the 34" scale that I can do on a 32" scale (Mostly when playing two notes at once. Obviously the stretch problem is helped on a 5 string as you can often play based around the fifth fret, but not always.

Anyway, I am starting to gas for a five string fretted and while I might end up with a 34" I'd like to invetsigate 5 string 32 inchers first. I know that they are pretty rare (which might be for a good reason), the only ones that spring to mind being the Birdsong and the Landing.

However before making enguiries along those lines (they are both quite expensive), has anyone here actually got, or had experience of a 32" fiver.
I know that the general opinion is that the B string will be crap, but is this actually the case, or just a preconception? IF they were really that bad why would the like of Birdsong and Landing make them?

Most luthiers have arrived on what they thinks works as a bass...

Most think 34 is the minimum for a decent B, but then they differ on bolt-on or neck thru and the type of woods.

If it were me, I wouldn't commisioned this blind but would want to know the guy making it had successully been down this path before.

If it didn't come off for you, I don't know what the market is in 32" 5 strings..

It would be a step too far for me but then I don't have a problem with 34" anyway..

Do lots of research, IMO

Thanks for your thoughts chaps, and apologies for the delay in acknowledging your replies - I've been away for work for a few days.

Obviously 32" 5 strings are a minority intersest and I need to try before I buy. Unfortunately the people who do them are all respected small scale luthiers, and are thus quite expensive. The Kingbass sound interesteing as it also has a narrow sring spacing, but the cost might rule it out. Having said that , the fact that these people do make them suggests that they can produce a good sound, and possibly their rarity is due to the general uncommoness of the 32" scale.

I need to think this one through a bit!

Apologies for the typos - been drinking