Why become a member? ×

Eden Nemesis?

zig-zag

Once I get my Spector fixed, I'll be saving up for a new rig. I would be using it for small/medium sized gigs and band practice. I have a Renault Megane at hand, so transport isn't really a problem. I've been particularly interested in Eden lately, more specifically the Nemesis EN400 and matching 4x10 cab. Anyone have any opinions on this specific combination? Would it suit metal/rock/reggae (or pretty much any genre)? How versatile are they? Would it suit the natural tone of my Spector? I've heard a while ago that they're used a lot by doom/black metal bands, as they can produce a really strong low end rumble that suits the genre, anyone have any confirmation on this?

There is an EN400 at my local with a 2x10 cab, that I'm thinking about checking out. But before I do, I'd some reviews on the head and Eden in general really. Thanks for all he people who reply!

P.S. Please don't reply saying I should by this Aguilar rig or that Ampeg head, I don't mean to cause offense or seem rude, but I just can't afford any of that.

I've had my Eden Nemesis 650 for a bit more than a week now and can really say I love it! Not sure which cabs you will get with it, but the nemesis cabs are very lightweight and suitable for the nemesis series. In my opinion it gives you a good reflection ofyour bass's sound.

The Edge control (or Distortion on the RS400) gives you a bit extra compression which is really useful when playing low sounds (especially metal), and the semi-parametic eq gives you quick acces to your sound.

Highly recommendable so try it out if you fancy one!

Ive had the na650 for just over 2 years now. Gig it most weekends 200+ id say. It took me a long time to get this amp set up to my liking, tweaking it here and there and getting the right impedence output for different power outputs, you know, depending on venue size etc.

It has a very good hi-fi bass sound IMO. I think most of my problems with the sound are really due to being in a loud 5 piece where it can be difficult to cut through, and not because the amp is incapable. I try to be subtle with eq settings and not to extreme, but in order to cut through the mix i have to set the bass flat, mids +2/3 treble +2/3, not too subtle as the eq on the amp is extremly sensitive. The semi para eq seems good. I dont really know how to use it properly, so i just let a string ring and make adjustments to the frequency to get a frequency that cuts through.

One problem i have found with it is the gain/input stage. If you allow it to clip too much it will cut out for a few minutes. Embarrassing during a gig, but i now keep the input levels down on my sansamp and input gain. The next stage is the valve emulation. I prefer S/S sound with my set up, but the valve is a nice sound. This can be blended to suit your tase. The enhance can be very useful. I tend not to use it so much any more, but, it can really warm up the sound and thicken the tone. Next stage is the semi para eq, i find it useful but im sure there is a more professional approach to using it. Then comes the eq. This is one of the great things about this amp, it is so sensitive that slight adjustments are very noticable. The best eq i have used, no questions. Di level/output, very good i have been told by techs then the master.

I have owned Trace ah300smx and Gallien Krueger Backline 210. The nemesis is the most expensive and the best amp of the ones i have owned. I have no plans to change it yet, it is a great workhorse. If it all went tits up i would not get another, but ONLY because i will want something better. More high end at least.

As for the cabs,

I had a 4ohm nsp210. I blew one of the speakers after a few gigs and replaced them with eminence 300w speakers, making it 600w from 250w. Gigged it loads like this, built like a lightweight tank!! If i bought another one of these i would do exactly the same with the speakers. Overall these really are good cabs, but i am now lucky enough to have a bergantino nv610 now which is awesome. I dont think i will ever buy another cab.

If you have a chance to buy nemesis stuff, just buy it you wont be disappointed.

Not your specific combination but I had a nemesis 2x12 combo and it was absolutely cracking, probably one of the best amps I've owned (and I've owned eden,GK, Trace Elliot stuff). The cabs are very, very light (in comparison to others), I could carry my combo with one hand!

2x12's are awesome too :)

I have the NA650 as well and it's a very good sounding amp, with a lot of tonal flexibility and a good array of features..

Personally, I don't use the internal compression but i do use the 'edge' control to dirty up the very clean, almost hi-fi' tone of the amp. The enhance control is similar to the contour control on Gallien Krueger amps and is a bit like having a sweepable pre-shaping facility which is very cool. But having said that, it needs to be used with caution IMO because, although it makes the tone of your bass sound great in a solo context, if you over use it within a band setting, you will lose the presence of your bass in the mix because it effectively takes all the mids out of your sound.

As already said, the DI out is great and personally, I've never had a problem with the gain/input stage; in fact, I find the 10db gain boost switch really useful when swapping between active and passive basses.

Another very useful facility is the fact that the NA650 will work at 2 ohms, which allows me to run 2 x 4ohm cabs for bigger gigs and get the maximum output from the amp (though I'm not sure if other Nemesis heads do this).

Well worth checking out I'd say, though do have a look around at some of the second-hand Eden gear currently on sale here because there's some good stuff around..

[quote name='bassmeg' post='532963' date='Jul 5 2009, 01:23 PM']Has anyone else had problems with their amp cutting out when the signal line in and gain have been clipping?
May just be mine but problem solved by keeping an eye on input levels.[/quote]

I gigged my Nemesis RS700 for the first time at the weekend.
I set the input gain so the red light flickered only when playing hard.... (10 o'clock setting with my Status).
No cutting out, and the cooling fan only running occassionally.

I did find that the 'master' control needed cranking up in comparison to other amps I have used.... (12 o'clock compared with 9 on my Trace and MarkBass amps).

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='533614' date='Jul 6 2009, 11:01 AM']I think the volume control is better though; Trace Amps become loud really quickly (hence the name 'Trace Watts'), but I think it sometimes lacks subtlety. No such problem with the Nemesis.[/quote]

Hi,

So I am assuming that you have noticed the same thing?
It just felt odd, because my Trace would have run out of steam by the 12 o'clock setting.
Does the Nemesis just 'keep going' past 12?
(I didn't get much of an opportunity to try this out).

it keeps going on the master and is more linear and less on/off but is still a bit "quieter" than a lot of amps the same rating. I think thats maybe because Eden say it still has 3dB headroom at full volume so its like its restricted to maintain that heardoom? You need to set the gain high to get best out of it though.