Why become a member? ×

Help me choose my Celinder fretless

SpinalTap

I thought it would be fun if you guys would give your opinion about a choice I have to make the next couple of weeks.
Be asured: It's my choice, but feel free to give your honest opinion, or give me some other ideas.
In 2008 I ordered a Celinder fretless with these specs:

J Vintage 4 fretless
Chambered mahogany body
bookmatched cocobolo top
Birdseye maple neck
brazilian rosewood fretboard, with coating and sidelines

Sounds, like a fantastic bass, but after the months went by, I thought of another fretless that would be an fantastic bass.
It will be the twin-brother of my shoreline gold J Classic that I love so much

J Classic 4 fretless
Alder body
birdseyemaple neck
macassar ebony fretboard with coating and sidelines
passive stacked knobs
Ice blue metallic with matching headstock
For the people who know this bass, it's a J Classic 4 version of Flankers and my old Vintage 5 with the same color, and bodywoods)

So, what would you choose? :)

I'd say it depends on whether you're likely to use both basses at the same gig. If you are then go for the matching fretless and you won't have to do so much knob twiddling on the amp when you swap over. If you'll be using the basses for separate gigs then I'd say the first choice would sound better. :)

Thanks for the reply's guy's. I never played the Celinder Aura, but I heard some good things about it.

The hardest part is: What do you order when you don't have an instrument you can compare it to?
I played (and owned) different fretless Celinders. but they were all J Vintage instruments (and one RobAllen sort of custom Celinder bass)

So do I order a bass, with (what I think) are some very cool specs for a fretless (the Cocobolo custom) or order an fretless version of my personal favorite bass of all time. (J Classic fretless)?

I know both basses will be fantastic instruments, but still it's an hard choice.

Thanks, that sounds interesting. I'm still not sure about the pickups.
I think I will go with the Celinder HC in the cocobolo, or singlecoils in the classic.

Crazy Kiwi, you have a good point. But it doesnt make it easier. Sometimes I will take it along my Classic, but at other gigs I will take on of theese basses solo to a gig.

Well if there's any chance of you using both at a gig, then I think you shoudl get them made to be matching. Also, just found out about these pickups:

[url="http://www.lollarguitars.com/default.htm"]http://www.lollarguitars.com/default.htm[/url]

Apparently they're the proverbial for a nice warm vintage sound. I'm looking into a pair of reliced no-name P and J basses with these installed.

yes, I did a trade with this guy. He have been selling Celinders, Foderas and vintage basses for many years. I think if you contact him, he will maybe give a good price.

this is a nice fretless celinder [url="http://beatmusic.dk/celinder3/gallery.html"]http://beatmusic.dk/celinder3/gallery.html[/url] now we're talking fretless celinders.

René.

That's a great looking Bass. Love the Birdseye on that neck!
I've owened a similar specd bass, that I really liked (but couldnt get used to the lines on top of the fretboard (that are hard to see in the dark, with the dots on the side like it a fretted bass....)
So I decided I need to order a fretlessbass with no such problems. I also looked at other brands like AC, and Fender CS, but quickly decided it should be an Celinder again.

Here is a Celinder I loved when I owned it. Except it was a 5 string, and hard to see lines on the fretboard.
One of the most beautifull bassses I have ever seen in my life.
[url="http://img44.imageshack.us/i/celinderfretless001.jpg/"][/url]

No that is the Maccasar Ebony fretboard, that I put in my specs for my J Classic. It's sort of a perfect version for me, of this fantastic bass 4 strings and passive.
The rio rosewood that Chris is using is very dark en feels and looks amazing to. Would also be great on the fretless J Classic 4, but the Maccasar Ebony looks just so amazing!

• 1 month later...

After long debate with myself I decided to stick with the cocobolo custom.
A twin fretless is still tempting, but I already have the looks of such a bass, and like the idea of a truly custom and very special Celinder (how rare can you have it? ^_^ )
It's always a risk when you order something with specs you never played before, but after some emails with Chris I feel confident this will be a unbelievable bass, just as I thought when I (together with Chris) made the specs of this bass.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna think about it on my holliday. It's nice to think about these small details. Not really important but they can ad something extra to the bass.
My preference is gold at this point. But I must admit that chrome is the safer option for a longer period.
Although I never got tired of the gold/brass hardware on my Alembics.