Why become a member? ×

Band promo packs for labels etc

Geoff

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I was just wondering if anyone had any hints on what should go in a band promo pack and what kind of stuff you should keep out of it?

Im trying to get something put together so that when we record in October I can get a professional looking pack out to labels and other people.

Should you create something that looks business like or should you go all out artistic on the design? Or do you tailor stuff to the people you'll be sending it too?

I couldnt see whether this topic has been covered before or not, but im just wondering what other people have found works.

Hi Geoff,
If you pm me your email address ile happily send you our press kit/release as a guide.

Regards
Ade

[quote name='yorick' post='531778' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:30 PM']You should some decent band pix, a biog that doesn't waffle, but gives all the facts. Decent quality recordings in a good packaging is always essential. AND always include contact numbers and a guide gig list.[/quote]

I've found having a very formal, to the point bio with a good section regarding media and gigs is great, But a Tailored - Maybe even hand written intro note goes down very well. Be a little cheeky. I even once sent out a pack with a post-it on the front. The company put our pack through to the bosses because i'd written something along the lines of "I dare you to listen to the CD before you decide we're all ugly as w**k and put us on the 'no chance' pile" Winking smiley and all!

[quote name='MythSte' post='531786' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:42 PM']I even once sent out a pack with a post-it on the front. The company put our pack through to the bosses because i'd written something along the lines of "I dare you to listen to the CD before you decide we're all ugly as w**k and put us on the 'no chance' pile" Winking smiley and all![/quote]

Nice one!

IMHO if you're going to send all the gubbins through proffessionally done, then you may as well send it from a fake promo company. Having said that, it didn't get us any responses. Neither did hand written letters, full press packs with pro photos, handmade packaging, random interesting designs and stickers on the package etc etc.

[quote name='yorick' post='531778' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:30 PM']You should some decent band pix, a biog that doesn't waffle, but gives all the facts. Decent quality recordings in a good packaging is always essential. AND always include contact numbers and a guide gig list.[/quote]

Luckily we got good pics done recently. With a promo cd would you recommend a printed cd in a cardboard sleeve or would people expect the proper release in a jewel case?

[quote name='CyberBass' post='531784' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:35 PM']Hi Geoff,
If you pm me your email address ile happily send you our press kit/release as a guide.

Regards
Ade[/quote]

That'd be great cheers!

[quote name='MythSte' post='531786' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:42 PM']I've found having a very formal, to the point bio with a good section regarding media and gigs is great, But a Tailored - Maybe even hand written intro note goes down very well. Be a little cheeky. I even once sent out a pack with a post-it on the front. The company put our pack through to the bosses because i'd written something along the lines of "I dare you to listen to the CD before you decide we're all ugly as w**k and put us on the 'no chance' pile" Winking smiley and all![/quote]

Haha thats pretty awesome. I can guarantee if I did that it'd just get burned or something!

Luckily we got good pics done recently. With a promo cd would you recommend a printed cd in a cardboard sleeve or would people expect the proper release in a jewel case?

Personally, i'd get a few printed cd's done with three or four tracks in a jewel case with a two page cover.