Why become a member? ×

Rediscovered albums

High score

Like a lot of people on this site, I have amassed a fair music collection - most of which were originally bought on vinyl, replaced with cd and ultimately loaded onto iPOD.

Cruising through it I have been revisiting King Crimsons RED, STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK and to be honest I was blown away all over again. I had completely forgotten how ferking awesome this stuff was with bass playing to die for!!

I concede to being an old fart and bought this in the early 70's (1974??) on vinyl but still love it............

Anyone else rediscovered hot stuff that has been hidden away for too long?

Edited by High score

"The Crossing" by Big Country is currently blowing my socks off...not so much "rediscovered" as "just discovered"! :)

It's from well before my time but the songs are amazing and Tony Butler's bass playing and tone are absolutely brilliant...he's a hugely underrated talent. I've always loved Big Country's singles but this is the first time I've dabbled in an album, and I'm very glad I did!

EDIT: It also brings out the Scotsman in me.

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='High score' post='529912' date='Jul 1 2009, 08:12 PM']Cruising through it I have been revisiting King Crimsons RED, STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK and to be honest I was blown away all over again. I had completely forgotten how ferking awesome this stuff was with bass playing to die for!![/quote]
+1 for Red. Incredible stuff. They never really got back to that height of brilliance IMO.

[quote name='High score' post='529912' date='Jul 1 2009, 08:12 PM']Anyone else rediscovered hot stuff that has been hidden away for too long?[/quote]
Just the other day I dug out [i]Laughing Stock[/i] by Talk Talk. Sat back and... :) wow. I'd forgotten how completely mesmerising it is. If you haven't heard it, cast aside all notions of their early-80s synth pop and [url="http://www.last.fm/music/Talk+Talk/Laughing+Stock"]get on last.fm[/url].

[b]Marillion - Script for a Jesters Tear[/b] - I used to listen to this loads when it was first out, recently ripped it for me ipod and forget how good it is - pretty dark really - the web, chelsea monday, forgotten sons etc (aside from the slightly cheesy 'garden party'), some quality lyrics from Mr Dick and some fine bass work from Trewavas. Excellent album artwork too (at least back in the day on a big old 12" vinyl sleeve!! Class.

peace

c

Red and Starless & bible black were brilliant! I loved them back in the day, but haven't played them for about 20 years now as I only have vinyl. I was at art college back in the early 80s' and screenprinted a one-off T-shirt of the RED sillhouettes. Red in particular had bite and attack the like of which I've never quite found in other stuff. I also loved Larks tongues in Aspic, never before had I heard such weird music, long tracks going from so quiet as to be almost inaudible to total pandemonium!

Marillion script - ahhhh, my favourite band back then. Brilliant lyrics and music, although the production is appalling. I really wish they'd got someone better in. Garden Party isn't cheesy!!!!!! The lyrics alone are too amazing for that label. What a great band, too bad Fish left.