Why become a member? ×

Compressor or Limiter?

MacDaddy

Just wondering what peoples preferences are and why.

I think on an amp I've never had a great compressor, but I used to love the limiter on my old PJB M-500, just one pot, simple and effective.

But in terms of fattening up the sound it has to be compression?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='529849' date='Jul 1 2009, 06:51 PM']Just wondering what peoples preferences are and why.

I think on an amp I've never had a great compressor, but I used to love the limiter on my old PJB M-500, just one pot, simple and effective.

But in terms of fattening up the sound it has to be compression?[/quote]

I think that more than preference in terms of sound, it is a choice regarding the functionality.

Compressors and limiters are essentially the same device with different characteristics. A limiter is a compressor with a very fast attack and a close to infinite compression ratio.

Limiters are often used to avoid clipping. They cut significantly the peaks leaving the signal untouched if it is below the threshold. This is why they are often included in amplifiers.

Compressors reduce the dynamics of the signal reducing the level of high signals or increasing the level of low signals. They can fatten the sound dynamic or squeeze the signal for a keyboard-like dynamic.

Compression is the only FX I've got lots of experience of on bass (over 20 years). It's the most subtle effect with probably the highest number of parameters. I love compression and have been few quite a few pedals and rack units and I still struggle to really understand it. Treat compressors and limiters like women - be prepared to try quite a few (maybe a lot) but when you find one that's right for you, never let it go!

[quote name='clauster' post='530045' date='Jul 1 2009, 10:30 PM']Treat compressors and limiters like women - be prepared to try quite a few (maybe a lot) but when you find one that's right for you, never let it go![/quote]I think thats where I'm going wrong. I try one out for a few months then a nice new shiny one comes along with different buttons and switches promising to give me all I desire...

Taking advice from people I bought the EBS because it was transparent and didn't colour the sound (true)

I have since found out that I actually wanted the colouring/affected sound so I now have a pulpmill... even more awesome than the EBS

I just know something else will come up that sounds even better