Why become a member? ×

Loop Pedal

Spikeh

Hey all,

I'm always looking around these forums, but rarely post anything - just the odd advert to buy or sell something. However, I've decent reason to do so now, so here goes :rolleyes:

My band has recently changed around quite a bit - we're back down to drums, bass and one guitarist (I'm playing bass) and we're currently going over some of the songs I wrote that were initially intended for two guitars. Most of the stuff works, but there are certain sections that could do with filling out.

In one particular song, there were two distinctive guitar lines in a quiet section, and I'm doing a solo. This second guitar line was a fundamental part of the song (and we really like the second guitar line that's still being played), but I've managed to do the original guitar line with the higher register on my 6 string, and a bit of delay. I can't, however, play my solo at the same time, though I do have plenty of time to record a loop before I go in to the solo.

For this reason, I thought back to my old GT6-B that had a looper on it... just done a bit of research, and can only find the BOSS pedals - RC-50, RC-2 and RC-20XL. The problem with my GT6-B, was it sounded bloody horrible (the unit in general, not the looper).

My question is - has anyone got any experience with these pedals (or any other live samplers / loopers), how do they fair with a bass signal (I play a 6 string, and I'm always concerned about the lower register not picking up properly), and do they modify the signal in any way? I'm very particular about my sound and I don't want a digital pedal to affect or alias my tone.

Any replies would be appreciated - thanks up front :)

I havent got any direct experience with any of those, but at that kind of price point there's no coloration, I've got a very simple looper on my boss dd-20 and it sounds great, as far as I'm aware loopers are fairly simple, they do just record whats going in and play it back, so I'd be suprised if any affected the tone at all

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I really like this guy [b]charly7v[/b] on YT: [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/charly7v"]http://www.youtube.com/user/charly7v[/url] . He uses a Digitech JamMan looper and builds up some amazing layers of sound (not all the vids are adequate).

Well, I took the initiative and bought an RC-2, should arrive tomorrow so I'll find out myself :)

I'm worried more about it affecting my sound than what it can do - the RC-2 seems more than adequate for my requirements. Looks like I may be able to record samples on to it too, which is great as I was looking to do that in the future as well.

Well, I got it yesterday and had a fiddle at home with my little practice amp - seems ok so far! Bit noisy on play back, but I'll see how it works on my main rig before throwing it against a wall :)

There are a lot more features on it than I need - the drum machine for one, but you can turn that off. It's also opened up another opportunity to me - foot activated samples! I've wanted to play about with samples in the band for a while now, and if it works right, I'll be able to record a sample from the studio then activate it whenever I need to. If I start using it seriously, I may invest in the additional Boss FS-6 foot switch so I can switch between phrases and set the tempo...

Will update with more info once I've had a play with it at practice tonight.