Why become a member? ×

Jazz Pickups Question.

Mr.T

[quote name='Mr.T' post='526229' date='Jun 27 2009, 07:58 PM']I have just finished swapping out the pups on my Jazz for Wizard 84's.

Either one on its own produces a healthy output, but...
Both on together and the volume drops considerably.

What have I done????? :)[/quote]

You do get a drop in volume on a Jazz with both pickups on full, but if you're losing a lot of volume and bass then you might have the pickups out of phase.

If the both-on sound is thin then reverse the wires from one of the pickups and see what you get.

I have checked, and yes I have definately wired them correctly.... black to earth and white to the centre terminal of the pots.
The output drop with both p/ups on full is so much that the bass is not useable.

I'll try swapping the wires on one of the pots tomorrow.
....unless anyone has any other ideas?

p.s. It was working fine before I took out the EMG selects and fitted the Wizards 84s.

Edited by Mr.T

Problem solved.

I swapped the wires around on one of the pots, and all is well.
This means that one pick-up is wired 'White to earth' and the other 'Black to earth', but hey.... It's working!

Thanks for the advice.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='528048' date='Jun 29 2009, 07:52 PM']Did you check that you'd installed both pickups the same way round? If you put one in the wrong way round then that would reverse the direction of the coil, so swapping the wires would sort it out.[/quote]

Hi,

I originally wired them 'Black to earth' (The can of the pot).
Swapping one of them to 'White to earth' seems to have sorted the problem.

If you mean physically...
I fitted both of the pickups so that the soldered terminals on them are at the top of the bass (when holding it).

Can anyone help with this in the same vein please:-

With S1 selected both pickups are working fine, and the volume for both is controlled by the volume knob which has the S1 switch. When S1 is off the bridge pickup doesn't work. They are the original Fender Pups.

Cheers

Steve