Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 opinions please

Rockbassix

Jut when i thought i'd made my mind up to buy a Fender P bass i seen a guy playing a G&L L2000 at a gig the other night and it sounded great. I spoke to the guy after the gig and he reckons it's one of the best basses he's ever owned!

The guy let me have a quick shot of his bass unplugged and it felt great but he did say the neck on his one was thinner than the other G&Ls he had seen before he bought that one! I'm guessing that certain models had the thinner neck or maybe this one was custom made the guy wasn't sure as he bought it 2nd hand?

I'm now kinda tempted to go for the G&L instead of the Fender so i'd love to hear the opinions of any body on here who's played or owned one before i go looking!

I'm probably going to have to stick with a Tribute unless i find a USA cheap enough at the moment
as some of my bass cash got eaten by a huge car bill! Unless the difference between them is huge in which case i might be tempted to wait and save some more!

I have a Tribute and I'd find it hard to imagine that the US model is significantly better (I'd not turn one down though). I think the necks are a bit anemic looking on the Tribby and mine isn't light but it's very well assembled and sounds superb.

Such a versatile bass, more so than a P I'd guess, a strong output too even in passive. I like the way that such variety is available even before you reach for the tone controls with neck/both/bridge : Parallel/Series : Passive/Active/Bright Active switches (3).

The pups and electrics are the same as the US models too.

I'd get one over a P bass personally

the l2000/2500 hundreds are amazing.i have a 5 string for sale,you are more than welcome to come and try it if you are in the south wales area for an idea on the sounds.i played a few over the years and they seem to do much more than fenders and music man basses.really good bits of kit, i will not bother asking what styles of music you play, if you get one it wont matter as the bass will cope with it.t

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='524934' date='Jun 26 2009, 03:27 PM']I have a Tribute and I'd find it hard to imagine that the US model is significantly better (I'd not turn one down though). I think the necks are a bit anemic looking on the Tribby and mine isn't light but it's very well assembled and sounds superb.

Such a versatile bass, more so than a P I'd guess, a strong output too even in passive. I like the way that such variety is available even before you reach for the tone controls with neck/both/bridge : Parallel/Series : Passive/Active/Bright Active switches (3).

The pups and electrics are the same as the US models too.

I'd get one over a P bass personally[/quote]

Thanks GreeneKing much appreciated!

[quote name='TGEvans' post='524942' date='Jun 26 2009, 03:39 PM']the l2000/2500 hundreds are amazing.i have a 5 string for sale,you are more than welcome to come and try it if you are in the south wales area for an idea on the sounds.i played a few over the years and they seem to do much more than fenders and music man basses.really good bits of kit, i will not bother asking what styles of music you play, if you get one it wont matter as the bass will cope with it.t[/quote]

Thanks for the offer unfortunately i'm in Scotland. I did look at your 5 string in the for sale section it's a great looking bass and i was seriously tempted but i don't know how i would get on with 5 strings lol sometimes i still struggle with 4!

I'm definitely starting to favour the G&L over the P bass!

L-2000's - I've owned 3 USA's and a Korean TRibute and also a pair of Asats with the same pickups/preamp. I love 'em! :wub:

I tend to leave mine in passive and in series. big growly,dark tone! The passive mode works without a battery as its true bypass and in either of the active mods the bass and treble are cut only.

the USAs normally ship with the #7 neck (12'' radius, 1.75" at the nut) but there are some around which would have been ordered with the #8 (1.5 nut, same radius) This jazz bass like neck is standard on the SB-2,JB-2 and Asat basses.

the tribute L2K's ship with the 1.75 nut width. there are no other neck options I believe on these. I used to own a lovely MIK L-2000. It was a natural ash/maple one and played beautifully.

Whereabouts are you,I'm in Ayrshire and if you're nearby you're more than welcome to try mine. I should also have my old L-1500 coming back to me as well sometime soon and that one has the wider neck.

cheers!

Thanks for all the info and the offer to try your G&Ls dub junkie unfortunately i'm stuck in Edinburgh with no transport at the moment otherwise i woud've taken you up on that offer!

Cheers boabskiboab i've been trying to find somewhere that sold them in Scotland and couldn't find anywhere. Kirkcaldys only a half hour train ride from here so i might nip over this week and have a look!

I tried a few (USA) L2000s last summer and wasn't very impressed. I was really disappointed actually because I nearly bought one in the mid '90s and that one was a lovely bass, but the new ones... have they changed something? I didn't like them.

That said I know a guy who's got an '80s one and his is mint. Maybe it's a Fender situation, you've usually got to play a few to find one that feels right.