Why become a member? ×

first time in a proper studio!

0175westwood29

they went really well, was slightly nervous as I've only ever done live recording, I've never tracked just bass.

was really relieved when i did both my parts (we did 2 songs) in 2 takes, the people we were recording with managed to capture my tone brilliantly! i think we did quite well time wise as we managed to record both songs complete bar vocals in 9hrs including setup, me and our singer will be doing vocals tomorrow.

here a snap i took of my amp all mic'd up just before my takes.

andy

wow. Nice setup! I love ampeg...

I've just finished some home recording - can't wait to get ina studio some time. Probably not going to happen. Saving up for a macbook pro, then by the time that happens I'll probably be @ uni, then another 5 years of debts, then maybe start a proper life... :/

Pretty cool, though! When you going to have some MP3s out?

EDIT

I swear you're meant to have the mics at least a metre away from the cab. Well, that recording magazine aboutrecording bass sucks butt!

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='iamapirate' post='522996' date='Jun 24 2009, 09:47 PM']I swear you're meant to have the mics at least a metre away from the cab. Well, that recording magazine aboutrecording bass sucks butt![/quote]

that doesn't look like the most....er....acoustically ideal room. so, it's probably best that they were close mic'd. ^_^

PS -- As with any recordings, the key is to do what sounds best -- hence the above usage of 4 mics (presumably one will sound best, without the need for multiple takes to change mic's over). Generally, IME, close mic'ing sounds best on bass, although some mics can give a proximity bass buildup effect if too close.

Edited by escholl

[quote name='iamapirate' post='522996' date='Jun 24 2009, 09:47 PM']wow. Nice setup! I love ampeg...

I've just finished some home recording - can't wait to get ina studio some time. Probably not going to happen. Saving up for a macbook pro, then by the time that happens I'll probably be @ uni, then another 5 years of debts, then maybe start a proper life... :/

Pretty cool, though! When you going to have some MP3s out?

EDIT

I swear you're meant to have the mics at least a metre away from the cab. Well, that recording magazine aboutrecording bass sucks butt![/quote]

were looking at getting the final mixes in a few weeks time, are friend is doing it for us. as soon as they up on our site i post a link up.

i leave the mic positioning to the tech's :-)

[quote name='escholl' post='523020' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:04 PM']that doesn't look like the most....er....acoustically ideal room. so, it's probably best that they were close mic'd. ^_^

PS -- As with any recordings, the key is to do what sounds best -- hence the above usage of 4 mics (presumably one will sound best, without the need for multiple takes to change mic's over). Generally, IME, close mic'ing sounds best on bass, although some mics can give a proximity bass buildup effect if too close.[/quote]

yeh thing is we all loved the sound of each mic, and how they sounded together! so i think were gonna keep all four! :-) probs 3 at minimum, and there was a rumor of doubling up the tracks!

andy

[quote name='iamapirate' post='523759' date='Jun 25 2009, 03:34 PM']Doubling on bass? nice! I know it sounds awesome on guitar! Maybe have different dirt pedals on each :)[/quote]

nah honestly so happy with the sound we got, and it is all clean not effects on it at all!

got one rough mix back on thurs, he spent bout 20mins on it after we'd done our vocal takes, and it sounds wicked! the bass is perfectly in the mix! and the other track we recorded wasn't even mixed was just as recorded and even that sounds cool! and in this song the bass stands out in the mix, which suits the song really well!

all in all so happy with how its turned out so far, final mixes in a few weeks, the guy doing it is our friend and he is a bit concerned about mixing them as they sound good atm! but i know he do a wicked job plus ill probs go in with him and help mix it.

here's a pic of our singer doing vocals, check the mic's!

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

• 4 weeks later...