Why become a member? ×

can anyone here play Stu Hamm's ...

Golchen

I've always loved that piece, and I'd love to have a go at it. Is it a bit daft for someone of fairly modest (current)skills to even be considering it?? I get the impression that it's pretty hard to play!

I see that there's a few tabs of it around, anyone know if there's one that is better to use? I might have a bash anyway.

So, anyone tackled it???

[quote name='Golchen' post='521869' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:12 PM']I've always loved that piece, and I'd love to have a go at it. Is it a bit daft for someone of fairly modest (current)skills to even be considering it?? I get the impression that it's pretty hard to play!

I see that there's a few tabs of it around, anyone know if there's one that is better to use? I might have a bash anyway.

So, anyone tackled it???[/quote]

BIG Hamm fan here, 2nd on my inspiration list so I answere...Yes and yes!
Yes I tried and yes it's bloody hard!
To start with, the root, 4th sound that plays in the 1st main part...well that's not an overdub!
You have to slap the main line whilst tapping the root, 4th pattern...so that's tapping and slapping whilst holding a chord shape!
Many metal parts are in the song and the tapping at the end is no joke as it's a funny pattern I wasn't used to.

Go for it though man...I only learned Classical Thump because I chugged at it for so long!
If you wanna learn, try. It may take you 1-2 years to do so but you did it, and bettered yourself on the way!
My 1st bass tutor years ago learned Tommy the Cat by Primus...took him 2 years to perfect it!

Also worth learning:

Flow my Tears
Sexually Active (LEARN THIS SONG! You'll learn EVERYTHING Hamm uses, he chucks it all in)
Terminal Beach
The Memo
The Tenacity of Genes and Dreams

LOVE Hamms stuff. :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='522016' date='Jun 23 2009, 08:16 PM']I gave up because its a lot of work for a party trick of limited musical value :)[/quote]

"There are no rules on guitar, they've all been broken" - Les Paul.

"There are rules on bass guitar, put down the instrument slowly and back away ...." - the bass police.

[quote name='Golchen' post='523327' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:44 AM']"There are no rules on guitar, they've all been broken" - Les Paul.

"There are rules on bass guitar, put down the instrument slowly and back away ...." - the bass police.[/quote]

I don't heed that rule bassists seem to throw, it's a reason why guitar is so more advanced.
I know your being sarcastic but many out there really think bass has certain "rules".
It's an instrument...when you put it down what does it do? nothing! YOU play it and YOU play it how you like!

I say screw em, learn it man!
You must want to so go ahead.
The tapping in the intro alone will teach you something new: Tapping using your thumb with your fingers...not many people realise your thumb is a digit that can tap notes too!
Look at the span between your thumb and index...is that not the biggest span on your hand?
Use it man. :)

Edited by Kongo