Why become a member? ×

venues to avoid at all costs!

mrhectic

thought id start a thread for people to 'recommend' venues NOT TO GIG!

I'l start...

cobden club...what a sh*t hole. Had a gig there, first gig out of town...and oh...words cant describe how sh*t it was. No organisation or anything. complete waste of time. the promoter is was a bit of a dick aswell. was so angry inside, we were tempted to just leave....messing us around and everything. Never going back there again and i wouldnt recommend it to anyone!

rant over! :)

your turn is you wish!

I personally don't like Crucial Music Club promoters. They organise really mixed nights which rarely works well.
My friends played a night at "The Dry Bar" brought over 120 people and got payed £50 because someone graffiti'd a wall outside and since they brought the most people they assumed it was one of their fans. I personally don't believe in punishing a band in response for their fans. It's like reading council charging all the people who play Reading festival because their fans left a bit of a mess behind them.
Also I played a gig with them once, was a complete flop, a few months later I messaged them on myspace about the possibility of playing another gig with them and they deleted and blocked us from their myspace. Talk about friendly huh?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='517998' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:40 PM']Slagging off venues is a great way to get gigs…[/quote]

Alternatively, it might be a way to get the venues to get their act together - if they are made aware that bands won't go there because of their sh*t attitude?

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='518086' date='Jun 19 2009, 08:39 AM']I would have thought that the point of this exercise was to try to prevent fellow BCers getting their "fingers burnt" - not to "get gigs".

Only IMHO of course. :rolleyes: :)

FWIW, [b]The Railway Inn [/b]at [b]Ipswich[/b] would be my nomination.[/quote]

If you have your band name and/or links to your band in your avatar then there’s every chance that this thread might pop up in a Google search carried out by venues that might be looking to offer you a gig…

If someone searched “The+Beautiful+Sound+Ipswich” then they might be linked to this thread, which will become more likely with BassChat's ever increasing popularity.

It can be good to share this kind of info, but maybe do it in the Off Topic forum that doesn’t show up on Google…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='518145' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:14 AM']If you have your band name and/or links to your band in your avatar then there’s every chance that this thread might pop up in a Google search carried out by venues that might be looking to offer you a gig…

If someone searched “The+Beautiful+Sound+Ipswich” then they might be linked to this thread, which will become more likely with BassChat's ever increasing popularity.
[b]
It can be good to share this kind of info, but maybe do it in the Off Topic forum that doesn’t show up on Google…[/b][/quote]

+1
Oooooh sneakey-beakey!!!

:)

Why would this thread be revealed by Google but and Off Topic thread wouldn't? I didn't know that. :)

Still can't see the problem though personally.

If a venue found itself mentioned in a "venues to avoid" situation, I would have hoped that they would want to know about it. :rolleyes:

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='518158' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:31 AM']Why would this thread be revealed by Google but and Off Topic thread wouldn't? I didn't know that.[/quote]

[i]Off Topic[/i] and [i]Site News[/i] are only visible to logged-in users. There might be other examples too.

S.P.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='518158' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:31 AM']Why would this thread be revealed by Google but and Off Topic thread wouldn't? I didn't know that. :)

Still can't see the problem though personally.

If a venue found itself mentioned in a "venues to avoid" situation, I would have hoped that they would want to know about it. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well the point is that you might not get the gig if other venues think there’s a chance you’re gonna slag them off on here.

[b]"Off Topic and Site News are only visible to logged-in users. There might be other examples too.

S.P. "[/b]

Well I'll be damned - you learn something new [b]every[/b] day - even when you're as old as me. :rolleyes:

[b]"Well the point is that you might not get the gig if other venues think there’s a chance you’re gonna slag them off on here."[/b]

If the venue was going to be slagged off on here, why would anyone [b]want[/b] to gig there? :)

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='518183' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:56 AM'][b]"Well the point is that you might not get the gig if other venues think there’s a chance you’re gonna slag them off on here."[/b]

If the venue was going to be slagged off on here, why would anyone [b]want[/b] to gig there? :)[/quote]

If only every gigging band could be so picky...

Playing a lot of these gigs at the 'name' venues is not about:
1. making money,
2. building a fan base,
3. playing a good show.

It's about building your CV so that you appear more credible.

It's worth playing a few of these venues purely for that reason. Let's face it, they're all shitholes run by disorganised twats on behalf of rip-off merchants... with terrible sound and no/low pay.

[quote name='The Funk' post='518200' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:10 AM']Playing a lot of these gigs at the 'name' venues is not about:
1. making money,
2. building a fan base,
3. playing a good show.

It's about building your CV so that you appear more credible.

It's worth playing a few of these venues purely for that reason. Let's face it, they're all shitholes run by disorganised twats on behalf of rip-off merchants... with terrible sound and no/low pay.[/quote]

Fair point.

You're nearly as cynical as I am. :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='518193' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:02 AM']If only every gigging band could be so picky...[/quote]

In all honesty, I think [b]every[/b] gigging band can be as "picky" as they choose to be.

I've been involved in bands where the prevailing attitude was very much "any gig is better than no gig" and, ultimately, it was always destructive.

Vive la difference though eh? :)

Just know what you're getting into. No matter how far up you go, you'll still have to deal with the same old sh*t. My friend played on 3 songs at Live Earth at Wembley. For the first song, the sound guys managed to not even turn on the channel for his acoustic guitar.

[quote name='The Funk' post='518219' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:30 AM']Just know what you're getting into. No matter how far up you go, you'll still have to deal with the same old sh*t. My friend played on 3 songs at Live Earth at Wembley. For the first song, the sound guys managed to not even turn on the channel for his acoustic guitar.[/quote]

That's marvelous!! :)

In fairness to sound guys the world over, festivals are the worst, you are a million miles from stage, you can only do fairly rudimentary planning compared to a tour, and it takes one mic monkey to put the wrong mic up and all your plans hit the fan while you try and figure out which mic dig get put where. Nightmare!

This is very different from bad venues, and bad tour sound for underling bands, both of which are shockingly vile ways to ruin performances for the audience and performers IMO.

ok..sorry for starting this thread! I was just really annoyed and dont want to go through that sh*t i went through again. Was messed around big time, no organisation, they had no idea what was happening, and was a waste of money renting a mini bus to go up there....friends we took up there i felt bad for, cos they had to go through the sh*t with us...

But, you guys were right about gigging london for sure. will defnetly just gig around london now on. Although we have one more in london at the hope and anchor and i hear good things about that place, so hopefully all is not lost on london.

[quote name='mrhectic' post='518531' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:15 PM']ok..sorry for starting this thread! I was just really annoyed and dont want to go through that sh*t i went through again. Was messed around big time, no organisation, they had no idea what was happening, and was a waste of money renting a mini bus to go up there....friends we took up there i felt bad for, cos they had to go through the sh*t with us...

But, you guys were right about gigging london for sure. will defnetly just gig around london now on. Although we have one more in london at the hope and anchor and i hear good things about that place, so hopefully all is not lost on london.[/quote]
My bro's band have played the Hope(guerilla radio),highly recommended a deffo place to get a gig.RE sh*t venues just put it down to experience,you will laugh about it one day,was there a good crowd though?

[quote name='mikhay77' post='518827' date='Jun 19 2009, 08:26 PM']My bro's band have played the Hope(guerilla radio),highly recommended a deffo place to get a gig.RE sh*t venues just put it down to experience,you will laugh about it one day,was there a good crowd though?[/quote]

nah, there was no organisation at all. The promoter put so many bands up for the night that we didnt start playing till around midnight, and by that time alot of people were begining to leave to catch the tube etc etc. Was very disspointing and stressful experience.

we as a band have decided not to gig so far, and to stay closer to home for now. All we wanted was a bit of exposure, but it was a big dissapointment.

Edited by mrhectic