Why become a member? ×

Barge Concepts VFB2 mod?

JonnyM

My sig. shows my current set-up: I've been wondering whether it'd be worthwhile, desirable - or even possible - to have the VFB2 modded so the feedback control (which I don't use) is a variable impedance buffer instead?

(I'm guessing that the impedance of the signal running into the distortion & fuzz isn't optimal at the moment, ie is too low).

Thoughts?

[quote name='JonnyM' post='517418' date='Jun 18 2009, 02:33 PM']My sig. shows my current set-up: I've been wondering whether it'd be worthwhile, desirable - or even possible - to have the VFB2 modded so the feedback control (which I don't use) is a variable impedance buffer instead?

(I'm guessing that the impedance of the signal running into the distortion & fuzz isn't optimal at the moment, ie is too low).

Thoughts?[/quote]
that should be fairly easy to do yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron

Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, Higgie's custom Barge would indeed work, but it's too big for my board (see pic) and I think kinda overcomplicated for my needs - unless I can be convinced otherwise - what the heck would I do with all those knobs n stuff in my set-up :)

As for the dirt sounds, I did some recording recently and plugged straight into the Hyperpak - sounded really great and figured it must be to do with the impedance of the signal it was getting. (I usually run my bass in passive mode, so the signal goes from bass to MultiComp into the VFB2 and the Hyperpak & Pickle Pie. I'm guessing that the signal from bass to MultiComp is high impedance, but by the time it gets to the Hyperpak it's low impedance?)

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but wouldn't know where to start here, unless it's nice & straightforward :rolleyes:

Edited by JonnyM

[quote name='JonnyM' post='518461' date='Jun 19 2009, 03:14 PM']Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, Higgie's custom Barge would indeed work, but it's too big for my board (see pic) and I think kinda overcomplicated for my needs - unless I can be convinced otherwise - what the heck would I do with all those knobs n stuff in my set-up :)

As for the dirt sounds, I did some recording recently and plugged straight into the Hyperpak - sounded really great and figured it must be to do with the impedance of the signal it was getting. (I usually run my bass in passive mode, so the signal goes from bass to MultiComp into the VFB2 and the Hyperpak & Pickle Pie. I'm guessing that the signal from bass to MultiComp is high impedance, but by the time it gets to the Hyperpak it's low impedance?)

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but wouldn't know where to start here, unless it's nice & straightforward :rolleyes:[/quote]
ever consider making a little impedence box?

[quote name='umph' post='518491' date='Jun 19 2009, 03:39 PM']ever consider making a little impedence box?[/quote]

Not until now! But wouldn't I need 2: one for the Hyperpak and one for the Pickle Pie?
Sorry, am not sure how impedance works in a pedalboard, but if the impedance box was before the HyperPak in the loop, but the Hyperpak was off, would the Pickle Pie "see" a high impedance, or does going through a pedal knock the impedance back to low again? :)

[quote name='JonnyM' post='518518' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:05 PM']Not until now! But wouldn't I need 2: one for the Hyperpak and one for the Pickle Pie?
Sorry, am not sure how impedance works in a pedalboard, but if the impedance box was before the HyperPak in the loop, but the Hyperpak was off, would the Pickle Pie "see" a high impedance, or does going through a pedal knock the impedance back to low again? :)[/quote]
the pickle pie would see the same impedence if the hyperpak was off

[quote name='umph' post='518523' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:09 PM']the pickle pie would see the same impedence if the hyperpak was off[/quote]
Ah-ha... the only problem is that directly after the Pickle Pie in the loop is the SMMH, which I believe needs a low impedance signal...

Thanks for that link dannybuoy - interesting...

So, have had a reply from Barge:

"Adding the vari-Z circuit is not an in-the-field modification. Just adding the impedance circuit is a fairly complicated procedure., modifying the stock feedback option to manipulate impedance is even more complicated - traces would need to be cut from the board, a significant amount of off-board wiring would need to be added to use the stock pot to control the vari-Z circuit, plus adding the additional components needed to make vari-Z possible, etc.

Having us mod your current unit is possible, but not necessarily cost-effective - modding a unit after the fact usually ends up being more labor than building a new custom unit from scratch. Our recommendation would be to either add a GLZ to your current signal path (which would have the added benefits of being footswitchable, as well as having gain and level controls, options that wouldn't be feasible when modding your stock unit); or to replace your VFB with a VB-jr and GLZ or a custom built DVB with the vari-Z option."

But having chatted with another forum member - which I should have done in the 1st place, DOH! - I now know that the Hyperpak & Pickle Pie don't really mind what impedance they are given, so that solves that then!

[quote name='JonnyM' post='522394' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:27 AM']So, have had a reply from Barge:

"Adding the vari-Z circuit is not an in-the-field modification. Just adding the impedance circuit is a fairly complicated procedure., modifying the stock feedback option to manipulate impedance is even more complicated - traces would need to be cut from the board, a significant amount of off-board wiring would need to be added to use the stock pot to control the vari-Z circuit, plus adding the additional components needed to make vari-Z possible, etc.

Having us mod your current unit is possible, but not necessarily cost-effective - modding a unit after the fact usually ends up being more labor than building a new custom unit from scratch. Our recommendation would be to either add a GLZ to your current signal path (which would have the added benefits of being footswitchable, as well as having gain and level controls, options that wouldn't be feasible when modding your stock unit); or to replace your VFB with a VB-jr and GLZ or a custom built DVB with the vari-Z option."

But having chatted with another forum member - which I should have done in the 1st place, DOH! - I now know that the Hyperpak & Pickle Pie don't really mind what impedance they are given, so that solves that then![/quote]
there reply is a bit bad i'm sure its not that difficult unless they've got some really elaborate active feedback loop going on!