Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 410HLF and Ampeg 410HE- differences?

orangepeelneil

[size=3]Hello Everyone,

I have an Ampeg SVT-CL head and have been looking to buy a single used classic series 4 Ohm 4x10" Ampeg cab.

The two current 4x10" cabs are the Ampeg 410HLF and Ampeg 410HE.

I've looked at the specs and know the obvious differences i.e size impedance, tuning, price etc :-

[i]
The 410HLF is a500W@4 Ohm cab tuned to 28Hz and costs around £699

The 410HE is a 500W@8 Ohm cab tuned to 43Hzand costs around £450[/i]

Has anyone been inside either of these cabs and looked at the drivers/wiring? .I've done some diging on the net and most people suggest Ampeg often use 32 Ohm 10" Eminence drivers in the SVT cabs.

My Plan was to maybe buy the used cheaper 410HE cab (from a fellow basschatter) and rewire it for 4ohms, but if it has 32 Ohm drivers I think I'm stuffed in terms of wiring options.

Any info or suggested is welcolmed

Cheers Neil[/size]

I owned the 410HLF for a bit with the SVT-CL head and it sounded immense. It was a very boomy sound with exaggerated lows and low mids, but that was the sound I was going for at the time – it had that great all valve growl. Very loud rig – never had the master volume above 3!

It actually wouldn’t make any difference if you could rewire the 410HE to 4ohms, cos the SVT-CL will kick out 300W at 4ohms and 8ohms. It's only with transistor amps where you lose wattage for a 'heaver' load.

They're completely different designs. The HLF uses high excursion woofers with little midrange, lower sensitivity and higher excursion limited power handling in a large ported enclosure, whilst the HE is basically half an SVT 8x10" - a small sealed cab with much lower excursion limited power handling, less bottom and more midrange. The HLF is definitely tuned higher than 28Hz and the HE isn't 'tuned' as it's a sealed cab.

I've noticed some bassists buy the 410HLF hoping for the classic Ampeg sound in a smaller box than an 8x10". Unfortunately it sounds nothing like it. The 410HE does sound like half an 8x10" but because it has half as many speakers and doesn't have ports to help out on the bottom like most 4x10"s it can't move all that much air before starting to distort. Fine at lower SPL or if you're more midrange focused in your tonal leanings.

And unfortunately you can't rewire a 4 ohm cab to 8 ohms or vice versa!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='515025' date='Jun 16 2009, 09:42 AM']They're completely different designs. The HLF uses high excursion woofers with little midrange, lower sensitivity and higher excursion limited power handling in a large ported enclosure, whilst the HE is basically half an SVT 8x10" - a small sealed cab with much lower excursion limited power handling, less bottom and more midrange. The HLF is definitely tuned higher than 28Hz and the HE isn't 'tuned' as it's a sealed cab.

I've noticed some bassists buy the 410HLF hoping for the classic Ampeg sound in a smaller box than an 8x10". Unfortunately it sounds nothing like it. The 410HE does sound like half an 8x10" but because it has half as many speakers and doesn't have ports to help out on the bottom like most 4x10"s it can't move all that much air before starting to distort. Fine at lower SPL or if you're more midrange focused in your tonal leanings.

And unfortunately you can't rewire a 4 ohm cab to 8 ohms or vice versa!

Alex[/quote]

So having said that, would you say that the 410HE is more suited to a 100w valve head (Ampeg V4BH) than the HLF?

[quote name='doctorbass' post='515473' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:54 PM']So having said that, would you say that the 410HE is more suited to a 100w valve head (Ampeg V4BH) than the HLF?[/quote]

Yes I would, but I'd only recommend it for quieter fat sounds or louder overdriven rock sounds. It's not a rig for fat high SPL bottom.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='515515' date='Jun 16 2009, 05:35 PM']Yes I would, but I'd only recommend it for quieter fat sounds or louder overdriven rock sounds. It's not a rig for fat high SPL bottom.

Alex[/quote]

Fair enough......which cab would you pair with the V4BH to get the best out of it? Im talking P Bass with flats, blues/soul/r&b sounds....

Edited by doctorbass

[quote name='doctorbass' post='515593' date='Jun 16 2009, 06:52 PM']Fair enough......which cab would you pair with the V4BH to get the best out of it? Im talking P Bass with flats, blues/soul/r&b sounds....[/quote]

Well I gather this is a rather nice and stupidly loud rig:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=47013&view=findpost&p=515652"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=515652[/url]

Alex

P.S. However I am clearly not at all unbiased! :)

[quote name='doctorbass' post='515593' date='Jun 16 2009, 06:52 PM']Fair enough......which cab would you pair with the V4BH to get the best out of it? Im talking P Bass with flats, blues/soul/r&b sounds....[/quote]

[b] BERGANTINO NV610!!! NO questions!!! It's an AMPEG 810 cab KILLER in a package 1/2 the weight & far easier to move. Absolutely KILLS the 810- & AFAIK [u]was designed to sound like the OLD Ampeg 810 straight back cab[/u]. I've never heard one of those, but I DO know that the NV610 with my V4BH sounds simply superb!! Low notes sound like explosions!! & this cab has SO much more clarity than the SVT410HLF I had previously- a mud bucket IMO. If U can- try one w/ the V4BH- but in a gig/band setting [i]this combo absolutely KILLS[/i]!!!!!![/b]

[quote name='rodl2005' post='516014' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:45 AM'][b] BERGANTINO NV610!!! NO questions!!! It's an AMPEG 810 cab KILLER in a package 1/2 the weight & far easier to move. Absolutely KILLS the 810- & AFAIK [u]was designed to sound like the OLD Ampeg 810 straight back cab[/u]. I've never heard one of those, but I DO know that the NV610 with my V4BH sounds simply superb!! Low notes sound like explosions!! & this cab has SO much more clarity than the SVT410HLF I had previously- a mud bucket IMO. If U can- try one w/ the V4BH- but in a gig/band setting [i]this combo absolutely KILLS[/i]!!!!!![/b][/quote]

Not really comparable when it costs twice as much...