Why become a member? ×

Early 80's Fender P Bass - SOLD to Beedster!

Evening All,

After much head scratching and umming and ahhing, I have decided that this beast needs to be moved on as I cant give it the time it deserves as I am too wrapped up in my Geddy Lee and $$5 string!!

I bought this from Mr Cougar, the ever helpful and general all round top bloke otherwise known as Jim, and I have put a link below to the original thread as he explains the pros and cons of this better than I could!!!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27441&st=0&p=282635&#entry282635"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry282635[/url]

To add further to this, the action is high at present, I dont know if this is the result of anything sinister neckwise or not - However I will include a rather lovely SX fretless Block Inlays in maple so you could always just swap the whole thing over. Sound wise, it is brilliant, I'm just not using it and dont know enough about truss rods and the like to begin tweaking to see if this will alleviate the action issue.

End of the day this is a tremendous bass with a solvable issue for the right person. I dont want to sell it to be fair but it is money sat on the wall I could put to other uses!!!!

I paid Jim £250 for the bass, I have changed the scratchplate to Black but other than that it is as per the photos on Jims original thread. The neck I bought from Myke T for £50 a couple of weeks back. Ideally I'd liketo get £300 back but will accpet £275 collected. I'd really rather not post as I'd like any prospective buyerto see the bass first and be happy with it.

Okay - I've taken enough of your valuable time people.

Please PM me if your interested.

many thanks

THOJC ( Matt)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27441&st=0&p=282635&#entry282635"]Original Thread[/url]

Edited by the hand of john curley

Man, I'm excited about fixing this bass up. I saw a great youtube clip of a guy playing a defretted maple neck Precision in 1980 with Pat Metheny and watching it I missed my old maple board fretless Precision so much. The sound of TI Jazz Flats on a maple fretless board through a PPUP has to be heard to believed! As the neck on this baby is clearly going to need some work done anyway - and assuming it's repairable - it seems a defret at the same time could make me a very happy bassist :)
Thanks Matt, and thanks Mr Cougar for the original, and very reasonable, listing of this bass. You both could no doubt have asked a lot more for it
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='510726' date='Jun 10 2009, 10:49 PM']Man, I'm excited about fixing this bass up. I saw a great youtube clip of a guy playing a defretted maple neck Precision in 1980 with Pat Metheny and watching it I missed my old maple board fretless Precision so much. The sound of TI Jazz Flats on a maple fretless board through a PPUP has to be heard to believed! As the neck on this baby is clearly going to need some work done anyway - and assuming it's repairable - it seems a defret at the same time could make me a very happy bassist :)
Thanks Matt, and thanks Mr Cougar for the original, and very reasonable, listing of this bass. You both could no doubt have asked a lot more for it
Chris[/quote]

Chris,

Tis indeed a beaut of a bass and if the neck can be fixed and de-fretted so much the better.

I have seen tooooo many of the threads on here with people moaning about mark ups on stuff sold. At the end of the day I have bought a couple of basses and a cab of Jim ( Mr Cougar) and he is a top bloke, I consider anyone on here i do dealings with a friend and no way would i take advantage of a friend. Sure I could have asked more..but Im not prepared to offend Jim in doing so!

You'll love the bass dude without doubt!!!! Have Pm'd you with contact details.

Cheers

Matt

Guest BassKS

[quote name='Beedster' post='510726' date='Jun 10 2009, 10:49 PM']Man, I'm excited about fixing this bass up. I saw a great youtube clip of a guy playing a defretted maple neck Precision in 1980 with Pat Metheny and watching it I missed my old maple board fretless Precision so much. The sound of TI Jazz Flats on a maple fretless board through a PPUP has to be heard to believed! As the neck on this baby is clearly going to need some work done anyway - and assuming it's repairable - it seems a defret at the same time could make me a very happy bassist :)
Chris[/quote]

That would have been Mark Egan

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there I was expecting a 6 month project bass but, after 10 days of tweaking, the neck is pretty much perfect, or as perfect as it'll ever be on a late 70's Precision. Slightly acute headstock angle excepted, there's nothing wrong with this bass at all, or at least nothing that a decemt fret dress won't sort.

So, I don't want to defret a perfectly good late 70's Precision neck (in fact, it's a pretty damn good one at that), and I don't need another fretted bass, so assuming neither Matt or Jim want this back (AFAIC they have first option), you can have this bass for what I paid plus £25 for the TI Jazz Flats that have transformed it into a good retro vibe bass (I've also removed the Badass - which is something that should never be seen on a Precision - and put a Fender-style number on there).

Collection from Canterbury or Milton Keynes. I'll take a decent 2x10 or 2x12 cab as trade also.

Chris

On hold pending Matt's decision.
To clarify the neck is now straight and lovely to play, the frets aren't perfect and will require work if ou want super-low action. I play flats at low-moderate action and it's perfect at that height. The neck is LOVELY to play, a classic '70's maple Precision neck, and the natural tone of the bass is spot on. SPB2 is a bit too bright for my liking but it's a minor issue. I'll kick myself for selling this but then again I'm through with collecting basses for the sake of it.
Chris

OK, Matt has come to his senses and realised five basses is enough for one man :) I've a few PMs to reply to and I'll do that later this morning when I'm on a decent connection
Chris

Edited by Beedster