Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Cutting Out

farmer61

My TE 500 AH has been cutting out on me when gigging.

On Sat, lost volume on Song#2, came back and played for another 2.25 hrs withoug problem then failed on the final track.

I've been putting this down to the MM Stingray as I thought the Jack Socket was playing up (Again, new batteries btw).

Went to my local store and explained the problem to the guy who has done may of my set-ups and repairs in the past. He felt that it could be the send / receive effects loop (never used) that was cutting in and out.

Anyone come across this before, for the first time I noticed that the Input Gain Led's were flashing although there was little / no volume which suggested something was getting through to the amp.

I having the thing serviced but am interested in anyone elses experiences with TE problems of this nature.

Thanks

[quote name='farmer61' post='508100' date='Jun 8 2009, 11:41 AM']My TE 500 AH has been cutting out on me when gigging.

On Sat, lost volume on Song#2, came back and played for another 2.25 hrs withoug problem then failed on the final track.

I've been putting this down to the MM Stingray as I thought the Jack Socket was playing up (Again, new batteries btw).

Went to my local store and explained the problem to the guy who has done may of my set-ups and repairs in the past. He felt that it could be the send / receive effects loop (never used) that was cutting in and out.

Anyone come across this before, for the first time I noticed that the Input Gain Led's were flashing although there was little / no volume which suggested something was getting through to the amp.

I having the thing serviced but am interested in anyone elses experiences with TE problems of this nature.

Thanks[/quote]

That's such an annoying problem.
Does it cut out completely or is it a loss of power with still some signal level and possibly very distorted ?
I have the latter problem with an old AH150 (?) head. Had it serviced by GM audio a few years back but it came back.
It could be the send/return jack(s) where the contacts have lost their spring and tarnished / oxidised enough to cause the problem.
I had a similar problem on the insert point of a mixer. Loud notes might 'break through' the barrier and things might be fine for a while before it fails again.
Anyway - get some Caig DeOxit cleaner and give them a good clean as per the directions - also other jacks etc while you're about it.
Good Luck

[quote name='farmer61' post='508100' date='Jun 8 2009, 11:41 AM']My TE 500 AH has been cutting out on me when gigging.

Thanks[/quote]

Hi there,

I'm not sure if we have the same amp as I don't know the number (I never look at these details)!
Mine's the 12 band new 2x10 combo.

I might have the same problem as you although I won't know till' later this week.

At my last rehearsal last week my amp was cutting in and out volume.
Couldn't see the gain panel as I was standing too close and it's quite near the floor!

The thing that strikes me is that I [b]was [/b]using the effects loop.
The amp is almost new, it's been used to re-amp recorded tracks for a few months and done one gig - no problems until last rehearsal.

The issue may be a dodgy lead - jack to jack so until this Weds when I try again (and replace the lead) I won't know.
Even then the issue was intermittent. Dodgy lead could cause this as could dodgy amp!

I've never had any probs on my Trace (about 16yrs old and still going strong :) ) but I recently got something similar with my Fender valve combo.
Spoke to my local amp repairer who advised as a first try to get to the circuit board and resolder every contact. Did as suggested.. amp back to normal at the mo.
Sounds extreme, but he says a common thing, esp. on combos, is vibration pretty much rattling the contacts apart. A good bass amp is going to give plenty of vibration, so quite possibly there you are! Of course, a just-slightly-loose contact will give you an intermittent fault for ages before developing into a definite blow.. could be worth seeking advice from your local friendly amp repairer!
Having said this, as the other guys say, the majority of amp probs are down to mucky pots and sockets.. worth keeping those clean as a matter of course.. Servisol Super 10 is one of life's little neccessities!

Edited by hubrad

[quote name='rmorris' post='509018' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:46 PM']That's such an annoying problem.
Does it cut out completely or is it a loss of power with still some signal level and possibly very distorted ?
I have the latter problem with an old AH150 (?) head. Had it serviced by GM audio a few years back but it came back.
It could be the send/return jack(s) where the contacts have lost their spring and tarnished / oxidised enough to cause the problem.
I had a similar problem on the insert point of a mixer. Loud notes might 'break through' the barrier and things might be fine for a while before it fails again.
Anyway - get some Caig DeOxit cleaner and give them a good clean as per the directions - also other jacks etc while you're about it.
Good Luck[/quote]
Mainly loss of power almost completely, sometimes very very feight sound, but not so you'd notice it. The distortion is interesting point though as I do get this as well. Have changed all cables and normal points of failure. Could be that Age is catching up with the amp, I'm heopful that the tech will sort it out when he services it, thanks for your views sounds a very similar problem.

[quote name='funkyhead1' post='509022' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:54 PM']The issue may be a dodgy lead - jack to jack so until this Weds when I try again (and replace the lead) I won't know.
Even then the issue was intermittent. Dodgy lead could cause this as could dodgy amp![/quote]

Hi all new leads and wireless unit, I'm sure it's not that, infact I was fairly sure it was my bass until I saw the input gain LEDs and my tuner responding to playing my bass.

Hope you unit is ok, my amp is prob 10 years old and so to be expected, would hope that new TE units are build to last as long as the older ones!!

Thanks

Try taking the graphic out (e.g. depress the graphic in/out button) if you lose sound - I have known of a couple of people who have had this problem and the fault lay with a malfunction of the eq board.

As for the effects loop, jumper the effects send and return with a short cable and see if that helps.

A good session with the amp - hoovering, cleaning, servisol, resoldering... will do wonders.

If that fails, then it's off to a tech... get them to check the components - esp capicators as they are prone to breakdown.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='509174' date='Jun 9 2009, 04:03 PM']Try taking the graphic out (e.g. depress the graphic in/out button) if you lose sound - I have known of a couple of people who have had this problem and the fault lay with a malfunction of the eq board.

As for the effects loop, jumper the effects send and return with a short cable and see if that helps.

A good session with the amp - hoovering, cleaning, servisol, resoldering... will do wonders.

If that fails, then it's off to a tech... get them to check the components - esp capicators as they are prone to breakdown.[/quote]

Thanks, although I panicked on Saturday and it's already with him........

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='farmer61' post='509220' date='Jun 9 2009, 04:43 PM']Thanks, although I panicked on Saturday and it's already with him........[/quote]

Any update on this - as I wrote above I have a similar issue wthe an old TE 7 band AH head .

[quote name='farmer61' post='509160' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:44 PM']Hope you unit is ok, my amp is prob 10 years old and so to be expected, would hope that new TE units are build to last as long as the older ones!![/quote]

IMO they are just as good so your in safe hands.
They are only owned by Peavey, everything else, including R&D and manufacture, is as before, but done in a new office in Chelmsford, Essex.
Also remember Peavey of Europe own Trace Elliot, not USA.

My Trace Elliot 1048H actually says it was made in Corby!
That's not that far from Leicester.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='rmorris' post='517915' date='Jun 18 2009, 10:27 PM']Any update on this - as I wrote above I have a similar issue wthe an old TE 7 band AH head .[/quote]

Not yet, still with Tech who was waiting on some circuit diagrams.

Had to use my standby TE RAH 300 on Saturday first time in anger, was pooping me pants, but it played like a dream with no issues at all. So I'm convinced my TE 500 has a problem.

Am chasing the guy over the weekend to see how things are progressing.

[quote name='Kongo' post='518027' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:27 AM']IMO they are just as good so your in safe hands.
They are only owned by Peavey, everything else, including R&D and manufacture, is as before, but done in a new office in Chelmsford, Essex.
Also remember Peavey of Europe own Trace Elliot, not USA.

My Trace Elliot 1048H actually says it was made in Corby!
That's not that far from Leicester.[/quote]

If I ever stop spending to build up a war chest I may be looking at some of the newer gear.......must stop buying basses first though :)

[quote name='farmer61' post='518187' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:58 AM']If I ever stop spending to build up a war chest I may be looking at some of the newer gear.......must stop buying basses first though :rolleyes:[/quote]

And what better timing to do so:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52137"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52137[/url]

A big sale going on...This guy is who I bought my new Trace stuff from. :)

• 4 months later...

[quote name='farmer61' post='508100' date='Jun 8 2009, 10:41 AM']My TE 500 AH has been cutting out on me when gigging.

Thanks[/quote]