Why become a member? ×

Hi from a new member with a question

Nostromo

Hi All,

I’m a new joiner . . totally new to forums as well, so just finding my way around the site to see how it all works ?

I’m in a band playing around the Frome/Bath area, in the south west, and whilst I'm old ! . . I haven’t been playing bass that long, only a couple of years, so still very much a beginner really, but I played a bit of guitar over the years before I took up bass so my learning curve maybe not so steep due to that background.

I’m into the gear thing (aren’t we all to a greater or lesser degree ! !) . . . I have a couple of nice early 80’s Japanese Jazz Bass Specials, one is the ‘Power’ model which is active, the other one is the standard passive one, and I got into those because having been lucky enough to try one, I really liked the neck profile and neck shape together with the idea of getting Jazz and Precision pickups (and hopefully sounds) all out of one guitar. I guess I prefer the passive example sound wise, I use that one the most anyway – the power is definitely different, louder and brighter but surprisingly not seeming to have quite such a wide tonal range ? . . . One thing I’ve found about playing bass guitar, maybe due my 6 string guitar background or smallish hands, is that I get on very much better with a narrower neck, so I like a jazz width neck in preference to a precision neck.

Backline wise - I’ve got a SWR SM500 head and the choice of using my David Eden 4x10 for bigger gigs or my recently acquired epifany 3x10, (really light) for smaller gigs. All my gear is second hand, never bought any of it new, and Im very happy with it all . . I also have an old Hiwatt bass cab from the mid/late 70’s I think, but that hasn’t got any speakers in it – that’s a project for the future . . ie maybe putting together a vintage backline rig ?

Finally, and the reason I joined the site really . . Im thinking of picking up a hofner Violin Bass, one of the budget ones that are getting such good reviews.

My question is, is there any difference between the Contemporary (CT) Violin Bass and the Icon Series Violin Bass ? . . as I understand it, both are made in China, both get good reviews and the CT seems to be for sale in the UK whilst the Icon seems to be mainly sold in the US. Are there any other physical differences or is it just different labellings for different countries ?

Cheers all. looking forward to any info on the Violin Bass question ?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif"]http://basschat.co.uk/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/url]

Hi Nostromo - and welcome Sounds like you've got yourself a nice rig there - may your licks be ever bountiful.

As regards the Hofner question, may be worth your while searching 'hofner' (and / or re-posting your query) down in the 'basses' sub-forum. Also check out the 1968 Hofner in the 'Basses for sale' section - it'll give you an idea of how silly things can get round here.

Enjoy :)