Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz issue

ashevans09

Heya,

Recently my Fender P has started to develop fret buzz, though it only occurs when playing an open A. Everywhere else is fine and the neck appears to be correct so is this a nut issue? It's a pretty old bass (1978) so would a new nut be the best route here?

Cheers,

Ash

[quote name='ashevans09' post='503707' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:41 PM']Heya,

Recently my Fender P has started to develop fret buzz, though it only occurs when playing an open A. Everywhere else is fine and the neck appears to be correct so is this a nut issue? It's a pretty old bass (1978) so would a new nut be the best route here?

Cheers,

Ash[/quote]

The neck should have a slight concave bend in it, and giving the age of the bass, and the weather, the truss rod may need a tweek.

GP.

Just on open A? Can you establish if the buzz is eminating from behind the nut by depressing the string between nut and machine - if so, the likely explanation is too little wrap on the A-string post giving insufficient break angle.

See what happens and report back.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='503723' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:54 PM']Just on open A? Can you establish if the buzz is eminating from behind the nut by depressing the string between nut and machine - if so, the likely explanation is too little wrap on the A-string post giving insufficient break angle.

See what happens and report back.[/quote]

Depressing the string gets rid of it, so it seems you're right! :) , so if i understand correctly a fix for this would be changing out the string and wrapping it more around the post?

Edited by ashevans09

[quote name='greyparrot' post='503714' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:46 PM']The neck should have a slight concave bend in it, and giving the age of the bass, and the weather, the truss rod may need a tweek.

GP.[/quote]

And yeah that was my original thought as well, but all seems well and fine with the rod

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='503743' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:07 PM']There you go - unless you're going to re-string using more wraps, simply slacken the string to the point whre you can push the wrap right down and hold it there while you re-tighten.

Glad to help.[/quote]

Thanks alot mate :)