Why become a member? ×

Ebay question

Bigwan

Last night I lost an auction for an Ibanez BTB1205E. Not usually the sort of bass I'd be interested in but I'm on the lookout for a cheap and reasonably good quality 5 string so thought I'd give it a rattle. Was the highest bidder with 5 seconds to go, and was pipped at 2 seconds with a bid £1 higher than mine. My question is how can I be beaten by £1 if I was only able to increase my bids in increments of £10, or is it anything goes once the reserve is met?

Probably because of the way ebays bidding system works - what you enter is the maximum you're prepared to pay, so the highest maximum wins. However, ebay automatically places your bid to just above that of the next nearest bidder.

The guy who beat you was probably bidding in £10 increments too, but ebay has just rounded him off to the nearest figure above yours.

Losing ebay auctions like that breaks my heart. Saying that, I got a tasty Ibanez acoustic with 1 second to go last month. That was tense!!

*EDIT* think me and jean-luc must have been typing at the same time, pretty much saying the same thing...

Edited by mike257

He probably used automatic bidder software called "sniping". Some think it's bad form and unfair, other think it's an easier way of bidding up to you maximum amount, without you having to sit in front of your PC. Auction Sentry is one of the most popular. It bids up to your limit at a pre-agreed point - usually less that 10 seconds to go.

Edit: corrcting tpos

Edited by stingrayfan