Why become a member? ×

Epic new tune - d'n'b thing, piano, trumpet, kithen sink...styleee

urb

Hey

Just worked on this tune again today - I posted it a while back but I think I've made some signifcant improvements - re-did some bass parts and actually ended up adding a piano part at the end - I hope my ham-fisted playing doesn't spoil the vibe! It all gets a bit hectic in the middle but completly chills out at the end... I'd love your thoughts on this - criticism welcome etc.

Thanks for listening :)

Mike

[url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=114860"]http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=114860[/url]

PS - you'll need a Quicktime player to make this stream ok - but it is a highl quality MP3

[quote name='Duarte' post='503240' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:49 PM']That's really impressive playing and recording quality. Great bass tones and sweet mix of styles, nicely done.[/quote]

Cool D - appreciate the feedback

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Ditto Duarte's comments - well it inspired me to pick up my bass and try doing something similar, albeit in a far more ham fisted manner. I have to admit I am not a fan of those sort of drum tracks though, I find them a bit grooveless, but that's just me!

Keep them coming mate!

ped

I liked the middle bit a lot, there was some really nice bass playing going on, but it was overwhelmed by the trumpet, which was a bit intrusive IMHO. I'd love to here a minimalist remix sans trumpet.

The beginning section wasn't really my kind of thing, altho I'd have to echo the earlier sentiments about how well it was executed.

[quote name='ped' post='506843' date='Jun 6 2009, 10:48 AM']Hi Mike,

Ditto Duarte's comments - well it inspired me to pick up my bass and try doing something similar, albeit in a far more ham fisted manner. I have to admit I am not a fan of those sort of drum tracks though, I find them a bit grooveless, but that's just me!

Keep them coming mate!

ped[/quote]

Hey Ped

Thanks for the comments - I agree about the drum tracks but it's a tough one as getting a proper drummer to do these in a studio is something I want to do but is not something I can do for a couple of hours on a weekend... which is usually the time I get these days to record this stuff. But I know plenty of nice studios and several superb drummers - so I plan on spending a day recording real drums on this stuff sometime soon - but this will have to do for now :) Glad you dug it anyway and got you inspired to do something yourself.

Re the 'minimalist' comments from Steve - that's something else I plan on trying as well - Ijust spent a few days in Norway at a jazz fest two weeks ago and they do spaciousness very very well indeed - I love it - and is the perfect contrast to hectic stuff like this...

Thanks so much for all the comments - very useful and much appreciated - I'll be adding this tune a three others to an iTunes EP soonish so I'll keep you posted - got some more recording to d now

Cheers

Mike