Why become a member? ×

Grain filler

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='501041' date='May 29 2009, 03:45 PM']Anyone know where i could get grain filler? B&Q? Homebase? I got my paint in this morning but cant spray the body as its ash and needs to be filled first. What can i do about this?[/quote]

[url="http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22802"]http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22802[/url]

If you can find a Rustin's stockist in Glasgow you won't need to pay postage (assuming they have it in stock). I needed some recently, tried all the DIY places to no avail and rang Rustins for a list of local stockists in Yorkshire: there were only 2 in the biggest county in England! I'm sure if you asked them for Glasgow stockists they'd oblige...

One shop I went into said they had not been asked for it for years as it was an "old "product used by the old style craftsmen!

And unless you are making 10 Basses a week that little tin will last a lifetime!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Yes you can - spray filler or spray putty, although it's generally used to smooth over repairs to car bodywork. 'Proper' wood grain filler is good if you want to keep the wood grain showing through with a clear or tinted lacquer, whereas the aerosol type fillers tend to work better with solid colours as it gives a completely even, thick coat over the whole surface and you'd waste allot if you tried sanding it back to show the grain.