Why become a member? ×

Who? Me?

Bilbo

[quote name='jakesbass' post='503657' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:08 PM']Is he a relative of Martin France by any chance?[/quote]

I used to think so but for some reason I think he isn't related (I can't remember the facts, its just that I remember being wrong about something - its such a rare occurance, it sticks in my memory :)). If someone can confirm the either/or, that would be great.

As for subaudios question, the charts were a mixture of basic chord charts (such as you would see in one of the real books) but with added kicks, stabs, riffs, fills, intros and codas - some were very intricate/clever arrangements and needed us to be really focussed in terms of nailing the chart. The dots refer to specific details. You would expect to create your own walking lines or groove parts 'in the idiom' required (swing/Latin/funk/pop etc) but certain details would be written out very specifically (eg if you were doubling a piano part or a lead line or if you were playing a specific fiqure as a lead in or ending). The most important skill under these circumstances is to be able to deal with the geography of the chart (sines/codas/repeats etc) so, whatever else goes wrong, you know where you are in the performance.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='503760' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:23 PM']I used to think so but for some reason I think he isn't related (I can't remember the facts, its just that I remember being wrong about something - its such a rare occurance, it sticks in my memory :)). If someone can confirm the either/or, that would be great.

As for subaudios question, the charts were a mixture of basic chord charts (such as you would see in one of the real books) but with added kicks, stabs, riffs, fills, intros and codas - some were very intricate/clever arrangements and needed us to be really focussed in terms of nailing the chart. The dots refer to specific details. You would expect to create your own walking lines or groove parts 'in the idiom' required (swing/Latin/funk/pop etc) but certain details would be written out very specifically (eg if you were doubling a piano part or a lead line or if you were playing a specific fiqure as a lead in or ending). The most important skill under these circumstances is to be able to deal with the geography of the chart (sines/codas/repeats etc) so, whatever else goes wrong, you know where you are in the performance.[/quote]

Many thanks Bilbo, that's really usefull advise, that's one of the many things I love about this site, real advise from real working pros, thanks again.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='503760' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:23 PM']The most important skill under these circumstances is to be able to deal with the geography of the chart (sines/codas/repeats etc) so, whatever else goes wrong, you know where you are in the performance.[/quote]

Thats a very good point.
A lot of musicians starting to read tend to think sight reading is just about the notes.
Infact the signs, codas and repeats, looking ahead for key/time changes etc are the
things that trip up folks new to sight reading.

Garry

[quote name='Hamster' post='501588' date='May 30 2009, 01:27 PM']If you find you're being intimidated by his playing, just visualise him naked - or even play naked yourself. I'm told it's quite an empowering technique. :rolleyes:[/quote]
I've played with (only a few exceptions here..) very good drummers, any of whose naked image would cause me to leave the stage, gibbering, at speed. :)
Nice one on the gig Bilbo - no feeling quite like pushing yourself and making it work! :D :lol: