Why become a member? ×

StingRay V

doctor_of_the_bass

Hallo

Had an interesting one today! My cousin `Mel' (guitarist) calls me late this afternoon to ask me to dep for his new local pub/rock band `MonkeyBoy' - they've got a gig on Saturday and so, I nipped down to a rehearsal (sans my own gear) to have a listen. Their keys player also plays bass (very good player) - so he was filling in as they were'nt aware I was free later on following my teaching etc. Anyway, I ended up going thru their set on his lovely metallic blue StingRay V (the twin p/up model) - what a great bass. Played through his Markbass 15" combo (he is a man of great taste!) - really huge fat sound!

So now I've got even more gas....!

Has this happened to you, an unexpected last-second rehearsal leading to love..!???

Nick

The 2 pup Stingrays do kick ass.
You get that Stingray tone with added low mids. :)

I GASed on an Ibanez BTB405qm that used to be my mates brothers...we jammed and I played it...it was awesome...found out he was selling it the next day...MINE!
Now I........don't play it so much.............shame but I still love it. :rolleyes:

ohhhhh yeah. a few years back on my first dep. gig id gone down to the bandroom just to have a listen, and their drummer had brought his spector NS-4 along........this when i was gigging my spector performer 4 as my main bass

it was love at first sight indeed.....god i wanted that bass

P.S - so doctor, will a stingray 5 HH be bass number 62?! :)

Edited by funkypenguin

given all the basses you own,it must have made quite an impression!

I'm very happy with my single H Stingray 5 - I get enough variation out of the EQ and the series/single coil/parallel switch - The SR5 does sound a bit more polite than the other MM models imo when solo'd but in a band context it sounds just as you say..fat! Some maybe disagree but I think its a great sounding bass in a mix.

I've ended up being disappointed by the two pickup variants. The neck pickup lacks authority and it feels like its just not translating all of what the string is doing (presumably this would change with the addition of a healthy dollop of low-mids). I'd place money on the same spec pickup being used in both bridge and neck positions. I think the colouring of the Markbass combo would help the stingray sound a lot fatter that it might though other set ups.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='500590' date='May 29 2009, 08:58 AM']I've ended up being disappointed by the two pickup variants. The neck pickup lacks authority and it feels like its just not translating all of what the string is doing (presumably this would change with the addition of a healthy dollop of low-mids). I'd place money on the same spec pickup being used in both bridge and neck positions. I think the colouring of the Markbass combo would help the stingray sound a lot fatter that it might though other set ups.[/quote]

A Markbass head can make anything gold in my short exp. with em...even plugged into crap cabs!

Edited by Kongo