Why become a member? ×

Brian May Red Special BASS!

3V17C

I like the look of that too.

The Mudbucker looks excellent on that - remember it's just a casing you could have pretty much any pickup you wanted underneath that!

Unfortunately despite being pretty crap as a bridge there's something right about the looks of the Gibson 3-point that the alternatives don't seem to have, and for all it's excellence as a piece of engineering IMO the Hipshot replacement is downright ugly. The only possible alternative would be the bass version of the Tunematic that some Thunderbirds have (and that Mike Lull is using on his new Thunderbird-inspired bass).

Korean maker Dillion used to produce a bass with a similar shape body and three Tri-Sonic pickups. There's someone on TB with one, and there was another for sale on eBay a couple of weeks back that went for just a little bit more than I was prepared to pay...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='503142' date='Jun 1 2009, 06:27 PM']Korean maker Dillion used to produce a bass with a similar shape body and three Tri-Sonic pickups. There's someone on TB with one, and there was another for sale on eBay a couple of weeks back that went for just a little bit more than I was prepared to pay...[/quote]

Sounds like you've just passed that period of bliss between an auction ending and wishing you'd bid just that little bit more. :)

[quote name='Machines' post='500168' date='May 28 2009, 07:19 PM']Hmm, that seems to work actually !

Brian May is a fantastic bassist and has been an example to me for many years now.

:)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
Think i'll wait for Bill Nelsons..... "New Precision" :lol: