Why become a member? ×

Begginer-Price 6-Strings

Lew-Bass

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Left-Hand-Shine-6-String-Active-Bass-Guitar-Honey-Natrl_W0QQitemZ390053747344QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item5ad103da90&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Left-Hand-Shine-6-St...93%3A2|294%3A50[/url]

Looks gorgeous, active (although obviously electronics etc. won't be great), would it be worth buying with scope to upgrading the p'ups, bridge, pre-amp etc in the future or would it be better just paying more for a bass to begin with and avoid all the upgrading?

[quote name='Lew-Bass' post='495676' date='May 23 2009, 12:10 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Left-Hand-Shine-6-String-Active-Bass-Guitar-Honey-Natrl_W0QQitemZ390053747344QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item5ad103da90&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Left-Hand-Shine-6-St...93%3A2|294%3A50[/url]

Looks gorgeous, active (although obviously electronics etc. won't be great), would it be worth buying with scope to upgrading the p'ups, bridge, pre-amp etc in the future or would it be better just paying more for a bass to begin with and avoid all the upgrading?[/quote]

I've not tried Shine basses so I can't say.
It's a decent price though, if it feels right for you why not mod it?
As for other basses it depends on what you like. Seems only Ibanez and ESP LTD do decent entry level 6-ers and I cannot recommend an Ibanez BTB enough but they aint as cheap as this nor do they come in left handed.

If you want to go for it, go for it. :)
It's a leftie and I don't see many left handed 6-ers so...you can't loose!

[quote name='Kongo' post='495683' date='May 23 2009, 12:21 AM']I've not tried Shine basses so I can't say.
It's a decent price though, if it feels right for you why not mod it?
As for other basses it depends on what you like. Seems only Ibanez and ESP LTD do decent entry level 6-ers and I cannot recommend an Ibanez BTB enough but they aint as cheap as this nor do they come in left handed.

If you want to go for it, go for it. :)
It's a leftie and I don't see many left handed 6-ers so...you can't loose![/quote]

:rolleyes: thanks for the advice mate; I was actually looking for 4 string J-basses! I have to say it does look great though, and with the contour below the neck for slap it looks like a much more expensive instrument IMO

A little off target but I am really having trouble; are there any websites that are actually good for lefties and don't just stock one or two generic LH basses in? And are there, extremely unlikely, a luthier or parts site that would end up amounting to £500 for a bass?

Thanks again

[quote name='Lew-Bass' post='495695' date='May 23 2009, 12:52 AM']:) thanks for the advice mate; I was actually looking for 4 string J-basses! I have to say it does look great though, and with the contour below the neck for slap it looks like a much more expensive instrument IMO

A little off target but I am really having trouble; are there any websites that are actually good for lefties and don't just stock one or two generic LH basses in? And are there, extremely unlikely, a luthier or parts site that would end up amounting to £500 for a bass?

Thanks again[/quote]

There's some here:

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/lefties/bass"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/lefties/bass[/url]

I use these guys alot of my strings and misc.

Other than that Rockbass have left handed versions of the Corvette and Streamer.

6-string lefties are rarer though.
If you want 6-string then go for it but if it wasn't what you wanted then look elsewhere as they ain't hard to play IMO, they are a completely different kettle of fish.

ive tried a shine 6er and it was a good entry level instrument. but, if you're looking to modify and upgrade, i would recommend the peavey grind 6. the construction and harware are better, with only the electronics lacking a little. i think youl end up with a better bass in the long run

Shine do make very good basses but forget about the neck through natural ones as I think they look cheap and scrimp on the electronics and hardware.

I think that they make Epiphones still. not sure though.

My first 6 was a Washburn that I got from Dolphin music for about £135. The best 6 I ever owned was an Ibanez SR1016 (I think) and would buy it back if the owner was ever selling it (who happens to be a member here)

If you're starting out then the best thing to do would be to try as many basses as you can. I've bought so many basses that I feel that i can comfortably buy something and make it sound good, even if its a pile of $h!te.

Better to buy a bass with decent electronics and hardware than something that you'd have to spend a shed load making playable

Edited by Delberthot

I agree with Delberthot. Definitely worth stretching your budget that little bit further to save you making adjustments down the line. I have an Ibanez SR506 which currently serves as my main bass. It was great stock, though it turned into a bit of a modification project for me. It's got a 27v Schack circuit, a ramp, neck's been shimmed etc. The only problem was that because of the radius on the neck, the A and D strings are noticeably further away from the pickups in terms of volume than the B and C strings. They're the cheap Bartolini MK 1's. Ideally, the pickup should be wound for each individual string but on this budget it'll be non existant.

I tried a Spector Legend 6, and although it's a 35 scale, it sounded great. Really nice punchy deep tone. Schecter are another good one to look out for, particularly the Stiletto and Studio models. Again, 35 scale.

Owned the Yamaha RBX 6JM, you can pick them up for around £400 and no mods needed at all. Fantastic basses, they punch well above their weight.

Hope you find what you're looking for!