Why become a member? ×

Rick 4001 called Rock n Roller

robert43

Hi has any I here of a Rick 4001 copy called a Rock n Roller .I saw 1 the other day s/ hand at a guitar shop
It had a bolt on neck ( I dont know if the scale was 34" or 33 1/2") It has Made In Korea serial number stared with a S.
It seam quite good . It only had 1 mono out put not 2.

That's not a Rockinbetter, unless someone has fitted a more accurate bridge pickup surround and bridge.

I don't remember seeing any current copies with a bridge as accurate as that one. My bet would be that it's rebadged JapCrap of some sort.

Interesting! A 70s or 80s Korean copy - usually the only old Koreans you see are plywood Hondos. I wonder if the scratchplate's been replaced (it has the wider neck pup spacing, unusual on old copies) or if it's just copied from a later 4001 or 4003? Old 80s Korean Rick guitar copies are pretty common (I used to have a cute little 325-alike) but you don't really see the basses, although it seems perfectly reasonable to think Cort or Samick or whoever would have been knocking them out.

Might one ask how much the friendly shopkeeper was asking for this interesting bit of Pacific Rim driftwood? And was the shop actually open-air with corrugated steel walls? :)

Jon.

Hi its not plywood . The shop owner thinks its Samick.
There no marks on it .
I think its been put away & only taken out once a year.
I have put a deposit on it . It was $600 with a gig bag. Australian which is about 300 GBP.
They had a well used Greco 79 for $1000 & a 85 Greco for $1300 both set necks.
The photos were taken out side, thats why there is iron walls .
Will let you know more in a week or 2

Edited by robert43

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this. Judging from the neck joint style this is a lot more recent than I first thought - I was expecting to see a neck plate. Did a bit of reading about serial numbers & the "S" suffix does suggest it's a Samick, and if it is, the number decodes as year/month/batch number - which appears to make this bass February 2001. So for a pretty recent Rick copy this is very accurate, certainly compared to the current glut of Gayros, Indies & Rockinbetters.

J.

At the shop they thought it was a 2000 model, so by that theyere right ie 2000 / 2001.
I played it at the shop against a real 2003 Rick 4003 .
It was very much like it.
The reason why I bought it as I was going to make 1 after seeing Al s ricks that he build & posted here.
I worked out with SD pickups Rick bridge etc it was going to be about $500+ with no inlay in the neck etc.
This I got for $600 ( put a deposit as I didnt have all of the $).
I am thinking of making a stero out put & try 2 bass amps for fun. It wont be a reall output plate as they want on ebay about $200 for them . What a joke.
I might install a Hipshot bridge as before I bought this bass I had bought 1 off ebay like new brass for about 1/2 price.
If not I might flog it off.
I day I might make a Rick 4003.

• 3 weeks later...

Up date I have had this bass for about 10 days.
1 st ting I found out the bridge has suffred like all Rickenbacker bass & has had tail lift , So I have installed the Hipshot bridge. Much better I can see why people rave on about the bridges ( Hipshot). I found this out when I replaced the strings old 1 were abit sad
I have a set of SD Rick pickups, I installed them & compare them to the pickups that came with it. To me ther wasnt a bigg diffrence so I reinstalled the old pickups.
I am thinking of selling the SD pickups & the Rick copy bridge.
I am making a black pickgaurd as I like the black with maple look better than the white & maple look.
I have had to mark the dials ( no marking) as I am still not used to the pot placement on Ricks ( keep on turning down volue on neck pickup & adjust the tone.
I like the bridge pickup cover.I am making at work a plate so I can have Ricko sound.
I like it for the $600 OZ ( to give you a idea here in OZ a real 4003 Rick s/hand same condition would st you back about $2000)
If I had to pay $2000 I think I would go a Fender Jazz.

Sounds good! Be sure & post some pics when it's all done. Hipshot is the way to go, I think, I love the one on my Kasuga (apart from the weight!) and I'm looking for a black aluminium one for my Frankenbugger - the standard one on it has lifted visibly since I fitted it.

J.

[quote name='zbigniew' post='502186' date='May 31 2009, 12:04 PM']That's a good looking Rick copy - I like it![/quote]

its a fair cop..y

sound comes next...if it sounds like a P or J you are on a winner..[size=1]<runs out of forum>[/size]

:)

Edited by mrcrow