Why become a member? ×

Active Circuits.

One of the John East circuits I have installed has given up the ghost (see elsewhere), uncertain at this point whether it's worth just pulling it out and sending it to John for a service or just trying something else.  Looking for replacement recommendations.

Effectively a three knob unit for a two pickup bass.  I did like the Darkglass circuit that was in my old Spector Euro LX, but specs just seem so vague on that.

Help!

15 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

One of the John East circuits I have installed has given up the ghost (see elsewhere), uncertain at this point whether it's worth just pulling it out and sending it to John for a service or just trying something else.  Looking for replacement recommendations.

Effectively a three knob unit for a two pickup bass.  I did like the Darkglass circuit that was in my old Spector Euro LX, but specs just seem so vague on that.

Help!

First port of call would be to send it back for repair if you like the pre I would think, he has quite a good repuatation for customer service.

• Like 2

On 26/05/2024 at 08:43, NancyJohnson said:

Help!

I use a lusithand nfp pre.

Its pretty killer.

I tried an Audere JZ3T in my Jazz Bass once (it was the 4-knob version with active 3-band, passive tone and 3-way impedance switch, but they sell them in 3-knob config too) and it was nice, but I got lost in all the tonal options. The impedance switch is cool but to me it didn't really offer anything usefull beside the middle (neutral) position. The low-Z setting gave a very deep, dubby low end and less high end. The high-Z setting was thin and almost a bit out-of-phase in character and was completely useless for me and my bands. 

In my Ellio Martina I have an Aguilar OBP-3 in a 3-knob configuration (volume/pan stacked with active/passive push-pull, mid/treble stacked with mid frequency select push-pull, and bass) but I don't like the center frequencies they chose for the EQ. The bass frequency is too low to my taste, the treble control is too high, and the mid control somehow only has a noticable effect when it's almost entirely up. May be a problem with the MEC pots it's coupled to in my bass, I don't know. 

Probably not the recommendations you were hoping for :lol:

Other preamps I have experience with were stock electronics of various brands (Carvin, Ibanez, Cort, Status) so not much help there. I have yet to try the Darkglass, but the idea of two mid controls and no upper treble sounds very appealing to me, and very functional. 

• Like 1

Just as an aside, I saw a wiring video on YouTube where a guy was wiring a couple of the controls off a four/five knob unit into a stacked-knob configuration, so it is possible to do this into a three knob affair.  

The Uni-Pre 3 is three stack knobs (with one being a three function one (bass/treble/high-treble).