Why become a member? ×

Helix HX Effects Presets

vmaxblues

Hi Guys,  I have picked up a second hand HX FX pedal and have started tinkering with it, have any of you got any experience with these, got any decent presets, or know where I can get some specifically for bass.

I have started building my own, but not going fantastically well!

Cheers

Stuart

• Like 1

I understand building the presets and have put a few together, but this was at home using HXedit and headphones, when I used it at a live rehearsal, they sounded very different, and output volumes varied.

I know it is a question of trial and error but I think I must be making some fundamental errors.  I also have a Zoom B6, which I have no issue with and seems to work well, I just wanted to see if a Helix would be better, and I am wondering if it is better suited to guitar?

Basically trying to achieve:

NIce clean punchy tone

A Bruce Foxton sstyle tone

A Phil Lynott tone

A distorted overdriven tone Queens of stone age

A mellow Bass tone

Initially

What's your amp and cab?

IME you need a clean amp otherwise the drive sounds from the effects can have a tendency to clash with the drive of the amp. Also set your amp's EQ to as close to neutral as is possible and use the Helix to shape the sound. Whenever I hear musicians struggling with multi-effects often the problem is that the amp and cab is getting in the way with conflicting EQs and drives. For me my amp has been just about making me audible as far as possible and anything else is an unwanted side effect.

I'd start with just the Obsidian 7000 module. I know that Dark Glass devices as supposed to be aimed at "metal"  sounds, but for me this is by far the most comprehensive set of drive and EQ possibilities.

I think the issue will be that any presets will have the same issues that you are with setting them up for your rig and gear - except with the confirmation bias that having paid for it you are more likely to trust it than your own ears!

So I would suggest making your own. If I was trying to get the sounds you're after I personally would have opened up the amp blocks - but they are on the stomp, not the effects so that's not helpful advice.