Why become a member? ×

Cheap upright for a newb

Posted (edited)

Ok so me and Mrs Rayman are looking for a modest upright to learn on, and a cheap option came up on gumtree. A black painted thing for £300.

I know nothing about upright basses. Is this thing junk to be avoided? Or a reasonable starter bass?

I’ll try and figure out a link

👍🏻

Edited by Rayman

Do you know any double bass players who can help you search for a suitable starter bass?

The key thing to remember is, double basses are complex things and a LOT of things can go wrong with them, and these things are often expensive to fix. Generally, I'd say £1000 is about the norm for a healthy second hand starter bass. Cheaper deals can be found but you need some know-how of double basses to navigate potential duds or basket cases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Duckyincarnate said:

Do you know any double bass players who can help you search for a suitable starter bass?

The key thing to remember is, double basses are complex things and a LOT of things can go wrong with them, and these things are often expensive to fix. Generally, I'd say £1000 is about the norm for a healthy second hand starter bass. Cheaper deals can be found but you need some know-how of double basses to navigate potential duds or basket cases. 

I do know one actually, but I saw this thing pop up and thought, it's maybe worth a punt as something to start on?? I don't know.... I have no idea of it's origins

I'm looking for a Stentor 1950 primarily, but at 300 quid, I thought that this might do for now

That might be just about serviceable for thumping along to rockabilly, but I don't think any repair shop would touch that with a ten foot pole. 

IMHO, better to save up and buy a decent second hand plywood bass that keeps its value and can be used to learn the instrument properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I do know one actually, but I saw this thing pop up and thought, it's maybe worth a punt as something to start on?? I don't know.... I have no idea of it's origins

I'm looking for a Stentor 1950 primarily, but at 300 quid, I thought that this might do for now

I mean, it looks east European and from the earlier part of the 20th century, with serious splits in the top and back. Possibly a crack under the bridge, horrendous set up and a weird butchered fingerboard. A crude example that you wouldn't really be able to have fixed or set up.

• Thanks 1

I'd suggest taking your DB playing mate to see if it's actually playable - you do not want to start your DB journey with a total dog.  There's lots of things 'off' about it, but if the action isn't stupid high and bits aren't actually falling off, then it might well 'do for now', providing you don't expect to get your money back on it. If you're a bit handy, it could be improved with a propely fitted bridge - dunno about the cracks though, depends if they go all the way through the top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheRev said:

I'd suggest taking your DB playing mate to see if it's actually playable - you do not want to start your DB journey with a total dog.  There's lots of things 'off' about it, but if the action isn't stupid high and bits aren't actually falling off, then it might well 'do for now', providing you don't expect to get your money back on it. If you're a bit handy, it could be improved with a propely fitted bridge - dunno about the cracks though, depends if they go all the way through the top.

I’m pretty handy, and not afraid of repairs, but I’m used to electric basses. This is a whole other thing. What I don’t want to do is buy a piece of junk. I mean it’s only £300……… but it’s 300 quid I can’t afford to throw away. It’s way too far North to take my mate, I’d have to tie it in with work, but it’s a hell of a long way from Manchester.

4 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I’m pretty handy, and not afraid of repairs, but I’m used to electric basses. This is a whole other thing. What I don’t want to do is buy a piece of junk. I mean it’s only £300……… but it’s 300 quid I can’t afford to throw away. It’s way too far North to take my mate, I’d have to tie it in with work, but it’s a hell of a long way from Manchester.

With that in mind, I think you should keep saving, keep your eyes peeled here and post a wanted ad, tell your DB-playing friend and any other double bass players you meet that you are looking for a starter instrument. It's very possible to find a solid starter bass for say £800 that will serve you well for years to come. 

• Thanks 1

EUB could be an option: sturdy, small... if the neck (setup) is good, it will be a breeze to play. Remember: strings cost quite some, but they last for ages. A suitable set supports your style.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There’s a nice looking DB for sale in Chester on the Facebook “Bass Players - sell- buy - swap UK only” group for £250 that looks like a good starter bass. 

Disclaimer: I have no affinity or connection with the seller nor have I any personal experience of the bass in question. 

IMG_0208.png

Edited by JPJ
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I literally just messaged the guy, just before reading this!!

That’s it then, its meant to be 😂

Don't touch that black one with a barge pole.  It will put you off double bass for life!  There may be a decent bass under the paint and "repairs" but it would cost £100s ( £1000s even) to dig it out.  I think most dealers and repairers would tell you to scrap it rather than spend the money

What are you planning to play on it btw? And how likely are you to persevere with it?

Double basses are something you form a relationship with over years of playing.. and trading up is expensive.  So making a decent investment in one early on can be a good thing in the long run.

• Thanks 1