Why become a member? ×

Barefaced SuperTwin

15 minutes ago, Ruarl said:

I have been wondering about this set up. I already have a BB2 and would like something a bit smaller for small gigs & practice. How do the two compare?

Andy, I'll be selling one of my SC's when the 3x10 arrives. Not as small as a Super Midget mind you.

Rob

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Ruarl said:

I have been wondering about this set up. I already have a BB2 and would like something a bit smaller for small gigs & practice. How do the two compare?

Alex recommends not running the SC and BB2 cabs together. I forget why. Maybe you could email him and find out?

I use an Aguilar TH500 and SC for small gigs, for most bands an Aguilar AG700 or TH700 and SC/SM and for the very loud rocky stuff I'll swap the SC for a BB2. For playing at home I have 2 One10's. I'm not keen on the sound of the SM on it's own. I need more low end. I think the SM pairs well with the other cabs, adds mids and higher end. I rarely use 1 cab. IMO 2 always sound better, even at low volume.

IMO the difference in size and weight between the 112 cabs is minimal. For me that difference wouldn't make me use one cab over another. I choose my cabs for tone and volume.

Edited by chris_b

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

Alex recommends not running the SC and BB2 cabs together. I forget why. Maybe you could email him and find out?

I think I've heard that too. I was thinking about running a Super Mini T(nee Midget) with a BB2.

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I use an Aguilar TH500 and SC for small gigs, for most bands an Aguilar AG700 or TH700 and SC/SM and for the very loud rocky stuff I'll swap the SC for a BB2. For playing at home I have 2 One10's. I'm not keen on the sound of the SM on it's own. I need more low end. I think the SM pairs well with the other cabs, adds mids and higher end. I rarely use 1 cab. IMO 2 always sound better, even at low volume.

IMO the difference in size and weight between the 112 cabs is minimal. For me that difference wouldn't make me use one cab over another. I choose my cabs for tone and volume.

Having heard SCs at the weekend, I don't think I consider the SC and BB interchangeable. But, that's all down to my uses. What I'm really interested in is how close the SM is to the BB. The absent low end you mention is not surprising. And that might be the thing that means I don't bother with the SM. I think I'd prefer an even more compromised sound for even less money. Or, just stick with the BB, which is lighter than my previous 150W practice combo.

4 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Andy, I'll be selling one of my SC's when the 3x10 arrives. Not as small as a Super Midget mind you.

Rob

Thanks for the offer Rob, but I don't think an SC is for me just now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Super Twin are really great cabs. Excellent power to weight ratio. Been my main gigging cab for several years. Always great sound linked with a wide range of heads. None better on market IMHO, and I have tried many.

Edited by BassManGraham

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ruarl said:

The BB2 is deeper and fuller sounding to my ears.  The SM is less deep, but deep enough, and sounds better when pushed a little.  Both are very loud.

In smaller venues the SM is more than adequate and sounds far better than it's size would suggest.  It sounds a bit more "angry" than the BB2.

I've owned these cabs for 9 years now and they have handled every situation I've gigged in. (I've used Barefaced cabs since the beginning in 2009ish?)

The combination of the two is as much as anyone could need. (in my opinion.)

Frank.

Edited by machinehead
update
  • Like 2

I have this config.  You do really notice the smaller cabinet on the Super Mini.  I tend to use mine for practice on it's own.  Then in parallel with the BB for bigger gigs.  Also sometimes the BB for main backing, with the SM pointing up like a floor wedge, so I can hear my intonation, where the missing bottom octave makes it easier to hear the notes.

• Like 2