Why become a member? ×

New DBs, up to around £5k

I'm thinking of picking up the old DB again, after neglecting it for a good while.

My current cheap Stentor Conservatoire is in dire need of a set-up, so that's the first call, but I can see myself being tempted to sell it on and buying a better model if all goes well.

I'm drawn towards buying a brand new bass instead of used - does £5k get me a considerable upgrade on the Stentor (bearing in mind they seem to be over £2k new now!)?

What are your recommendations?

Aled

20 hours ago, Ramirez said:

I'm thinking of picking up the old DB again, after neglecting it for a good while.

My current cheap Stentor Conservatoire is in dire need of a set-up, so that's the first call, but I can see myself being tempted to sell it on and buying a better model if all goes well.

I'm drawn towards buying a brand new bass instead of used - does £5k get me a considerable upgrade on the Stentor (bearing in mind they seem to be over £2k new now!)?

What are your recommendations?

Aled

When I was cycling seriously I went into a bike shop and asked what performance upgrade a new (and hugely expensive) bike would give me.

The advice of the guy in the shop was to save the money and ride more.

While it’s your money, I’d suggest that it’s probably worth persevering with the Stentor you have now and then look to upgrade when you know what you want.

You may want a reliable gigging instrument or a vintage instrument with lots of character. If you’re in and out of pubs playing gigs, the Stentor would be fine. I had a £5000 bass that I never took out of the house as I was too worried I’d damage it. 

There are many other posters here with much more knowledge than me, and if you’re set on spending the cash there are loads of options. But I’d give it a year and invest in something that you’ll cherish and invest a lifetime in.

• Like 1

For brand new, get in touch with Laurence Dixon at Bass Place in London. I'm not sure of the current pricing but would highly recommend looking at a Lovaszi Luna bass (https://www.laurencedixonbassplace.com/the-lovaszi-bass). I've had a Stella model for over 5 years now it's a great instrument. I wouldn't ordinarily recommend buying brand new in that price range but those Lovaszis are really good value for money & very well made.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you both.

Well, the plan is to get the Stentor fixed up and for me to start taking things seriously again, then see how it goes. I'm also hoping to drag @Owen in for a second opinion!

I don't see myself playing pubs etc.

I run a commercial recording studio, so it would most probably spend most of its time there, with the occasional theatre tour thrown in.

I do know what I want to a certain extent... namely because every DB I pick up that's not my own sounds better and is much easier to play than mine!

Maybe a fairly new used bass would be a good option if it comes to it... some nice things seem to pop up in the classifieds here!

Edited by Ramirez

I have a Stentor Conservatoire and it was my first bass. I had it for about 11 years before I bought a new instrument, in my case a Paul Bryant. I think I should have upgraded sooner. The Bryant is much, much nicer to play arco, and as a pizzicato bass it has a more balanced sound, it's louder, and it has a singing quality to the notes that the Stentor lacks. It is a much more musical instrument. 

But I kept hold of the Stentor. Why? Because it is a really solid gigging instrument, and when I do bar, restaurant or pub gigs with little space or unpredictable patrons, or when I have to play outside, I am glad to have a bass that is not my pride and joy. It is worth more to me for these reasons than the £800 or so I'd get in the second hand market for it. 

Both of my basses have been set up identically by Laurence Dixon, and this should be your first port of call. A good setup makes all the difference. And yes, those Hungarian basses that Laurence sells are very possibly the best value you're going to find around the £5k mark. Hassle free, really impressive sound, set up to perfection. 

• Like 1