Why become a member? ×

Standalone IEM solution recommendations

Posted (edited)
On 09/05/2024 at 08:09, Jolltax said:

Could any users of the Zoom H4 give a few hints on how they have theirs set up, the instructions aren't the best.  I'm trying to to get stereo from the built in mikes and mix it with a mono input from my bass. So far I have only managed to get stereo mikes with bass in one ear, so need to switch the bass input to mono is my guess ...

I'm sure I'll get there in the end anyway but any hints appreciated!

J

I use the Stereo channel at live gigs.
If the "Recording Input"  is ABOVE 0.5 to 1.0 the output distorts and the Red LED flickers.   
The unit is "top of head height" on Mic Stand towards the front mid right of the stage.
To minimise additional wires on stage, I do not add anything else into the unit -  I just take the headphone out via a very long 3.5mm jack to jack to a little mixer by my feet. (cable adapter at mixer end to a stereo channel.)
I power the unit from a Battery Powerpack at the base of the Mic Stand. (lasts for several gigs).

I use the H4N via a small mixer which also accepts my bass - at least this is by my feet so I can adjust the mix to my wireless IEM's.

Our live gigs don't provide the luxury of set-up/sound check in an empty room, prior to kick off.  It's set up, make sure it's all working and there's no feedback, and do a sound check number just prior to our first number and hope for the best. 

Needs work!!  

Edited by Pirellithecat
  • Like 1

On 13/05/2024 at 21:10, Pirellithecat said:

I use the Stereo channel at live gigs.
If the "Recording Input"  is ABOVE 0.5 to 1.0 the output distorts and the Red LED flickers.   
The unit is "top of head height" on Mic Stand towards the front mid right of the stage.
To minimise additional wires on stage, I do not add anything else into the unit -  I just take the headphone out via a very long 3.5mm jack to jack to a little mixer by my feet. (cable adapter at mixer end to a stereo channel.)
I power the unit from a Battery Powerpack at the base of the Mic Stand. (lasts for several gigs).

I use the H4N via a small mixer which also accepts my bass - at least this is by my feet so I can adjust the mix to my wireless IEM's.

Our live gigs don't provide the luxury of set-up/sound check in an empty room, prior to kick off.  It's set up, make sure it's all working and there's no feedback, and do a sound check number just prior to our first number and hope for the best. 

Needs work!!  

Thanks that's very useful, It sounds like you are mainly using the H4 as a stereo microphone and mixing separately - having had a good play with mine I think I would like to try the same approach - I am finding the mixing software on the H4 fiddly and don't imagine wanting to mess with H4 levels and setup in a rehearsal / gig situation, it also seem quite battery hungry and is a bit bulky.  I also find that the stereo mikes seems to distort quite a lot with music at even modest volumes and will need the gain adjusting / turning down a lot

What kind of mixer would you recommend?  I might get one and try  - I keep looking at the zoom Livetrak L-8 as it is quite small, has lots of inputs and headphone / other outputs, USB powered and can record .... expensive though, lol

When i had the H4n i was running it with the record levels on .8 at rehearsals. I was surprised i could go lower than 1. Sounded ok though, although the waveforms were clipped. 

The battery life did worry me, it seems quite short compared to others. 

Zoom do a Bluetooth adapter that lets you do all the adjustments on your phone. Not sure if that works for the H4 but if it did you might find that easier to use. 

• Like 1