Why become a member? ×

Unique(ish) Fender Jazz Bass

AlexDelores

I saw one of these at my local music shop today.

Really, really cool looking Jazz but the pick guard had me thinking it was a Mark Hoppus sig. Little look on Google and it appears to be a ‘Squier Special’ Fender series from 1994. Not to be confused by ‘Squier by Fender’. Seems that they were relatively limited but not massively any different from the stock Jazz bass around that time. 

Has anyone got any more info on these and/or has anyone got one/played one that can give any more info on them. 

I was actually just taking my Mustang to get the electrics looked at so wasn’t actually shopping! 

I already have 1 MIM Jazz bass that is rarely played as I’m mostly a short scale player now, so not sure I need another one. But…

Note. It isn’t this exact bass, photo is from Google. It actually looks a lot less like a toy in person.

IMG_2019.webp

• Like 2

Wasn’t that one known as the black label, from 93-97 ish and had the strat style knobs 

there was a thread on those once, not sure where it is now 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

Ah yes, the 90's basses from Mexico. Love 'em or hate 'em. Personally not a fan, I always get the feeling Fender tried to save as much money as possible in materials in those days, so they switched to plastic control plates (just like the early USA Fullerton basses), cheap looking logos and not the best woods. However: some people really like them.

3 hours ago, BassAgent said:

Ah yes, the 90's basses from Mexico. Love 'em or hate 'em. Personally not a fan, I always get the feeling Fender tried to save as much money as possible in materials in those days, so they switched to plastic control plates (just like the early USA Fullerton basses), cheap looking logos and not the best woods. However: some people really like them.

Yeah I did wonder about the components and whether there was money saved in parts hence the ‘Squier series’ range…

I read that due a fire in the Mexico factory that they were primarily made from overstocked USA necks/bodies and shipped to Mex for assembly and components… this is the paragraph I found on a Squier forum but I can’t speak for how reliable it is …

“The guitars with the black label consisted mostly of overstock american made Fender necks and bodies. The parts were shipped to Mexico for assembly with mexican made pickups and far eastern hardware and electronics. The overall quality of these guitars turned out to be below the Squiers made in Japan and Korea, whose production came to an end around the time the mexican made guitars with the black label surfaced, yet above Squiers made in China and Indonesia, whose production had not yet begun at the time. The guitars ended up on the american and european market for just about as much as a guitar from the regular “Standard” series would cost at the time.”

I actually really like the one piece pick guard and think the black logo looks cooler than the silver one on my MIM jazz. Perhaps it’s just that it looks unique and a bit like a mark hoppus that I like rather than it actually being aesthetically pleasing 😂

3 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Like it... Marc Hoopus Scratchplate?

It appears to be stock and would have been in production before Marks signature was released, so could well be where he got the inspiration from.