Why become a member? ×

NBD; Martin Keith Elfin 5str fretless

Well, the Kania is gone already. It was a wonderful instrument to play. So nice, that it made me long for a 5str fretless. Had it up for trade in the Netherlands and got some offers. Most of them where very expensive basses that needed me to dig up my savings. But this guy offered me his Martin Keith for my Kania and my 12 string guitar. I've never spend so much for one instrument. But the moment I had this Martin Keith bass in my hands it felt so very nice and there was so much resonance in its body and it was so easy to play. I'm a guitarist, so it helps me a lot when a bass is easy to play. And it doesn't way that much, so it's pretty easy on the shoulders.

I contacted mr Keith for some info, and here is what he could tell me (nice guy he is);

Built as an exhibit instrument for NAMM in 2011.

Maple neck with katalox (royal mexican ebony) fretboard, 34.5 inch (876mm) scale.

Mahogany body with spalted maple top. (Body thickness 52mm. His current basses are 42mm thick.)

Citron HB pickup with passive volume control.

Polyester finish.

So I'm very enthousiastic exploring fretless bass more and more. Love that sound. I'm not sure what strings it has at the moment. Feels a bit like half rounds. 

20240422_142104.jpg

20240422_142111.jpg

20240422_142116.jpg

20240422_142127.jpg

20240422_142135.jpg

20240422_142207.jpg

• Like 14