Why become a member? ×

bass tuners / machine heads

NickA

I dropped my bass.  Broken neck right up at the peg box.  It's with Max at Tim Tofts...it could possibly be pinned and glued, but being well insured it's getting whole new neck.

.. so while it's in the workshop and in pieces, I wondered about getting some new tuning machines to replace the bent and rickety ones it's always had.

Looking around I don't see much on offer. 

These are lovely and just the job: https://www.mjbl.co.uk/double-bass-tuning-machines.... But over £500 even without a brass plate and the cost of fitting.

These are modern versions of the "Tyrolean style" tuners on it now: https://www.thomann.de/gb/roth_junius_tyrolean_bass_machines_3_4g.htm. Only £48!!  Must be rubbish surely.

It will need the brass plate as the peg box is not pretty ( it always had a plate over it and hence there are many screw holes.)

Has anyone replaced their tuning machines?  Any recommendations?

Ah you cost-no-object pennng bass owners!  Beautiful.

I'm going to ask the bloke who has my bass in bits for a quote on those baker ones.  But those Rubners do look ok, so long as the plate fits the space or could be cut down.

Healy tuners?  Web search returns no info.

My bass is probably not worth more than £10k, so I don't want to put too many ribbons on it! 

Edited by NickA