Why become a member? ×

DB ‘con sordini’ mute recommendations

Still a newbie DB player here, although I did successfully manage a ‘Playday’ with Falkirk Tryst Orchestra recently, playing Tchaikovsky’s ‘Romeo and Juliet’ Overture.  Are all ‘Tourte’ style DB mutes much of a muchness or are there any particular mutes that you would recommend for ‘con sordini’ ?  (Andreas Zeller 3/4 DB)

(just considering another Playday where the music requires mutes🤣)

Get a Tourte mute from a reputable company, there are loads of Chinese copies out there. 

Often the copies are smaller and made of plastic that's just too hard. 

You could use one of those MAHOOSIVE ebony comb mutes but they are a proper pita!! 

(Oh, and remember that a mute is used to change the sound of an instrument and not necessarily to make it quieter.) 

Attach it between the G and D string as muting the bigger strings doesn't have that much of an effect. 

Practice mutes on the other hand are a completely different thing! 

• Like 2

On 11/04/2024 at 17:55, Bloopdad1 said:

Attach it between the G and D string as muting the bigger strings doesn't have that much of an effect. 

Good tip. No-one in my orchestra does that! From Monday they shall!

Think my mutebisna fake ( no Torte lettering !! ) but it works just fine.

21 hours ago, NickA said:

Good tip. No-one in my orchestra does that! From Monday they shall!

Think my mutebisna fake ( no Torte lettering !! ) but it works just fine.

Yes, just using the Tourte between the G&D strings does work quite well, but subtle - stand in front of your section with a "standard fit" mute then get them to switch to the top 2 strings and listen to the difference...

It's not massive but it does make a bit of a difference. 

IMO Muting only really works well on seriously good very old English / Italian basses (£££££££). For us mere mortals stick it between the top 2 strings and give it a go. 

(after being told off for not being muted enough, those of us in the section with 5 stringers borrowed a second Tourte and used 2 - muting the G&D and the B&E strings at the same time ('cos we're badass 😎) .... It got us through a boring slog of Vaughan Williams with wry smiles on our faces!) 

• Haha 1

Thanks kind people, I’ve ordered a Tourte from a reputable supplier!  As for the next ‘Play Day’, it’s not happening for me this time as the music is too difficult in important places (and I’ve had to agree to go to work that day too🙁).