Why become a member? ×

Chris Cross of Ultravox

Ultravox were a huge influence on me and true pioneers when it came to combining electronic instruments into rock and pop - they took the avant-garde electronica of Eno and Kraftwerk (even working with Brian Eno at one point), and mixing it with more traditional "rock" instrumentation (and even a bit of classical viola) they sign-posted the way for music to move out of the 70s and into the 80s and beyond. Whether it was electric bass or synth bass (can you even imagine Vienna without *that* synth bassline?), it was always under-stated and never flashy but always exactly the right thing for the song.

Edited by darkandrew
  • Like 3

His basslines on those first 3 albums (Dangerous Rhythm, Slip Away,  Lonely Hunter, Man who dies everyday etc) along with Barry Adamson's bass with Magazine and Paul Gardiner's with Numan were a big influence in me taking up bass in the first place. 

Also loved the 8th note Moog stuff on Vienna and Rage in Eden.  Impressed me that he could do this with his left hand while playing some other synth part with his right while contributing backing vocals. 

Always did what was right for the song, a great supporting bassist and a top fella by all accounts.