Why become a member? ×

Dunlop Strap Lock questions

harvey1-8

Mine have phillips screws, but that doesn't look anything like my Dunlop strap locks! I'd take it to a luthier or, if you're brave enough, use a hacksaw and pliers!

Edit for second idea.... if this can't be unscrewed, how was it scewed in in the first place? Could it be a nail of some sort?

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='489735' date='May 16 2009, 12:38 PM']....is the screw attached directly to the strap lock, if so could you not put some pliers around the strap lock and unscrew it like that, sorry if youve already tried this....[/quote]
Yes, Could be a one piece screw and button.

Hi guys,

I've tried every metric and imperial hex key I have and none of them do anything. I've tried to unscrew it with pliers but like I said earlier the top just spins and the screw stays firmly in place. I'm really tempted to take a hacksaw to it but have so far resisted. I'm still hoping that a former owner had installed them and can shed some light on it.

Thanks all,

Alex.

Edited by alexharvay

That's a Dunlop, though not a strap button that I've seen before.

You could email the pics to Charlie Chandler or the Bass Gallery and ask their advice. As they sell the Dunlops, they might know about this model.

The part on the strap is a Dunlop straplock, but the part attached to the body doesn't look like mine o_O

The Dunlop straplock should attach to the body with a philips head screw (like a normal strap button), so I'm really not sure about what is going on here at all :s

[quote name='alexharvay' post='489905' date='May 16 2009, 04:29 PM']

[url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=137&pmh=products/accessories"]source[/url]

It's like that but in silver.[/quote]
Fair enough - never seen 'em like that before.

Could it be that the locking bit that attaches to the strap has snapped & that's what is stuck inside the strap button?

Edited by RhysP