Why become a member? ×

Small amp head recommendations

It looks like I'll be getting a Barefaced 110 (because GAS) to replace my Minimark 802 so I'm looking for recommendations for a small head to go with it.

I'll be using it for jazz rehearsals/gigs on upright and electric and onstage monitor (with PA support and IEMs) for loud pop/rock stuff on 5 string electric.

Is the BF110 loud enough for this? Is it any good for 5 string?

I like Markbass stuff, so I'm looking at their heads, just wondering if there's anything else I should know about?

Are the TE Elves/Warwick Gnomes any good for upright?

I use a Fishman Platinum for upright, should I plug into the FX return?

Is the Aguilar Tonehammer as good as I think it is?
Half considering getting a TH500, then also getting a bigger Barefaced down the line to replace my MB CMD 121P.

All and any input welcome.

Edited by StingRayBoy42

I've got the little Aguilar 350 to use as a DI box/preamp and then some power if need be - been very happy with it especially as it is small and light enough to fit in my cable bag/case. The preamp takes a bit of getting used to but apart from that it's a lovely piece of kit. Not tried it on upright though.

• Thanks 1

I’d think so , you can run them clean , or grot them up , the tone stack is surgical. They’re very flexible , and with the various heads there’s a lot of choice. There’s reason for so many to swear by them. I know they weren’t available in the UK , but that is apparently changing. Try one out. 
I run a Bergantino rig , and a tube preamp. I also love Mesa. 

• Thanks 1

We're all too hung up on big name kit.  See my post elsewhere (Pedalboard amp).  I just bought a Harley Benton GPA100 (£70) for home use. 

Stick a stomp in front of it (currently a GED 2112 Sansamp).  It's pretty loud; I'll take it along to a rehearsal at some point and see how it copes, but so fat, peachy.

Amazing little unit.

• Thanks 1

I went for the Markbass Nano 300 - I like MB stuff, there was one on here for a good price and it's louder than I need so it could find a place in a bigger setup somewhere down the line.
Cheers for all the input.

3 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I went for the Markbass Nano 300 - I like MB stuff, there was one on here for a good price and it's louder than I need so it could find a place in a bigger setup somewhere down the line.
Cheers for all the input.

I see you bought @obbm one. Dave's a great guy and you'll get an awesome little head that will have been well looked after. Enjoy and let us know how you get on.

• Like 3